My son plays with my hair and it is starting to drive me crazy!!!

My son is now 4y 3m. He has always had this thing with my hair. Whenever he is on my lap he plays with it. I really thought he would grow out of it as he sleeps in his own bed and he doesn't sit on my lap nearly as often as he used to have to. And well, he is 4!! But it never fails, daily he will come up and ask to touch my hair or just grab it if I am sitting. He isn't mean about it. He is weird, he grabs some and rubs it on his face. I know it is like a blanky or stuffed animal or even a pacifier. But it is my hair! I try to tell him he can't because he will be going to school soon and I will not be there. Has anyone else ever had their child use your hair like this?

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 12:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• My youngest son will be 4 in April... he loves twirling his fingers in my hair, I love the way it feels, and even let him brush my hair... figure him showing afection towards females has to be a good thing. Because my husband and I are their model of relationships and families in the future... I don't want my son to think his wife in the future is something he can't "touch"... and it is innocent, crosses no boundries, so we don't fight this one (picking battles wisely thing)
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That is true. I just really worry that it is his "security blanket" type of thing. And how is he going to cope when it isn't there. For the most part, I would say he spends an hour a day doing it. Altoghther. He will lay on the couch with me at night and do it. I let him but do try and tell him, he has to stop because it won't always be there for him. To make him feel better. I guess I see what you are saying but wonder if I am harming him letting him do it still.
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wish! I love when people play with my hair. I hope when my son is older he'll do what yours does, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son does this. He will crawl in our bed every morning just to sniff my hair. He is only 2
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it's sweet. A couple of my children play with my hair, including the baby when he nurses. Try to enjoy it because some people have children that don't like to touch or be touched, and they really miss it.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My baby does this too. He's only 18 months and I kind of enjoy it. I wouldn't be too worried. He obviously can't take your hair to school with him and he will outgrow it. I have teenagers and adult children and none of them would be caught dead playing with my hair now. lol
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 5:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Get him a barbie; he can play with her hair

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Just tell him not now and get him to stop doing that so much and maybe just tell him no every once in a while .
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011