Normal to not have period for 10 months?

I'm breastfeeding my third child & I'm aware that nursing can often result in irregular periods. But as far as my knowledge goes, this usually lasts only 6 months. I'm on the mini pill & am trying to get an IUD, but they won't do it until the first day of my period. Should I be concerned that I've gone this long without menstruating? Thanks

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 12:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Health

• No you shouldn't worry. I too am on month ten of no period from breast feeding my fourth child. I have heard that many women don't get their period back until night time feedings have been reduced.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 12:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• When I was nursing our ds, I didn't have a period for 6 months, at which point I got pg with our dd (I never did have a period between them). When our dd was born, I also nursed her. I didn't have a period for about a yr. I asked our Dr about it at one of her appts (we went to a GP "family Doctor", so, unless there were problems, she saw the same Dr I did...) He said that I didn't need to worry about it, unless I went over a yr with no period, then I should get examined.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I had my daughter almost 3 years ago, 3 months after, I stopped getting my period...... I have had 6 period in 3 years, I don't have an answer for you, but I'm in the same boat.......
    Aimes85

Answer by Aimes85 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son turned 1 year today actually and I still haven't had my period back. He nurses a few times a day and breastfeeding is my only form of birth control. It's been doing a good job. He is my 3rd child, it came back at 8 months with my 1st and 10 months with my second. Although with my second she pretty much weaned herself at 10 months which is probably why it came back. I'm not sure why it came back earlier with my older son. It's normal for it to take over a year, I'm just not sure how common. In fact I was thinking of asking about it myself.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• All I can find out online is that the average return of menstruation after childbirth while practicing ecological breastfeeding is 14.6 months. I do not practice ecological breastfeeding but it tells me that taking this long doesn't mean there is a problem.
    "Return of menstruation following childbirth varies widely among individuals. The closer a woman's behavior is to the Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding, the later (on average) her cycles will return. Average return of menses for women following all seven criteria is 14 months after childbirth, with some reports being as soon as 2 months while others are as late as 42 months.[citation needed] Couples who desire spacing of 18 to 30 months between children can often achieve this through breastfeeding alone." Can't remember where I copied this from, either La Leche League or Kellymom probably.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2011