Carseats on Airplanes

I am traveling with my son and have purchased the extra ticket for a carseat. I just read an article about a mom who was booted from a plane because the carseat would not fit. Of course, now I'm worried. We own the Britax Advocate 65 CS convertible seat. I suspect that it will not fit.

Has anyone traveled with their convertible seat, and how well did it fit? Would you please provide the brand and style name, and the type of plane you flew on?

Thanks!

Busimommi

Asked by Busimommi at 12:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Travel

• How old is your son? There was just another question about this that I answered. My advice would be not to take one at all. My son is now a world travler at 4. He has been on so many flights and we have never once been told he needs a carseat. We brought one on our first flight out of the country and it just ended up being more of a hassle then helpful.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Graco snug ride car seat fit properly, though it did need a seat belt extender...which they provided. It's not a convertible type though. Also, had a booster seat for my 3 yr old and all was fine.

If anything else, just call the airline and ask the specifics on size of seats or if you need to measure it out on the safe side. G'luck.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I flew to Miami with two britax seats BUT discovered after that trip, they weren't FAA approved for air travel. Not sure why they even let us on. They barely fit. You can buy a travel seat that is FAA approved but it's pricey. Call the airlines to be sure about the specifications.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Call ahead will be your safest bet. I travel with my daughter alot, we have been back and forth to florida 4 or 5 x, and shes 2. How old is your son? Is he older then 2? Can he pass for under 2? They fly free. You are not paying for the carseat, if your son is older then 2, u r paying for his ticket. What airline are u using? Some airlines don't care if there the kids R in a carseat or not. Some car rental places have carseats for a extra charge.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am with PP. I have never taken a carseat on an airplane and my son has been flying since he was 3 months old. They are a hassle and not worth it IMO.

I would look up the requirements online for that airline. They should tell you what can and cannot be used. If the carseat is too big you can check it at the gate.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We only check our car seat, never use it on the plane. But our Britax is FAA approved and would have fit in the seat.
    caseyloo

Answer by caseyloo at 12:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They always made us check our car seats. If you take yours, make sure you bring a car seat protector. They BROKE my car seat when it was in baggage check and told us there was nothing they could do about it, because car seats were not standard luggage and specifically exempted from their policies. :(
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Call your airline. Some airlines have more space than others.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I had a Graco covertible seat for my DD when she was 2. It fit fine. All AA requested is that it was placed in the window seat. DD was comfortable, and I didn't have to worry about checking my seat. I don't trust baggage handlers below ever since a piece of brand new luggage came back completely ripped and damaged.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011