need help with this one?

if u owe student loans that u never paid, and u go file ur taxes does the irs take that out automatically even if u say that u dont owe any, when u go get ur taxes filed? and when do u find out? do they tell u right there or in a few days?

ok i should add i got a loan to pay off my student loan i started doin payments last year, but in december i got a letter in the mail saying i owe interest and principal? i guess on the student loan im not sure it didnt say, it just said interest and principal? and it was from a collection agency, i do know before i got a loan for my student loan they said they were goin to take it out of my taxes for 2010, but since i got a loan for it and did payments on it i dont have to get that taken out. but i didnt know about the interest and principal

hello_kitty1

Asked by hello_kitty1 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you do it online, I think you can click the button on how much you would get back on either side...for what you owe and or if you deny owing anything, but lying on taxes...I don't know the outcome...never done it. As for when you'd get it back...once it gets submitted and in the system, it gives you a time frame of when it should hit your bank account or when it would be sent out in the mail. G'luck to you.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 1:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You don't need to tell them, your loans are done through your SS # so they can easily tell. My guess would be if it's a government loan that you owe on (US Dept of Edu) then yes, they very well may take your refund.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They may or may not catch it when you file - but when your refund comes in they may have deducted whatever you owe (the IRS will send you a letter). If there is a chance that the IRS may take your tax refund for student loans you shouldn't go to one of those "instant refund" places, you may end up owing them (as well as the IRS) money.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You need to deal with this directly & figure out if you can't pay or aren't budgeting for it. There are ways to apply for deferment. Call the company that issued your student loan & find out if it was paid off. But you are really better off contacting these companies and dealing with this head on. They will find you even if you try to avoid them.

This is a tough situation and I'm sure it is causing you a lot of anxiety. Once you find out where you stand at least you'll know what you're dealing with.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2011