When to start a daily routine?

I have a 5 month old and want to know from other parents about when they started a daily routine with their children.

kvanness0824

Asked by kvanness0824 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• You start early with routine. Rather, you work on routine to help them sleep through the night, you work on routine when you have them sleep in their own crib. You work on routine when you try to get them to sleep....bath time, meals, etc. If there was a sibling involved, I'd say when the baby is 4 months old to work on a routine...but over all, you create routine as you move along. Even when adding housework, college, or work into the mix...it starts to flow if you fit things in around the baby....or fit the baby into your routine.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 1:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Whenever it works for you. Usually babies naturally gravitate towards a routine of their own. I don't like strict schedules for our family because I feel like it makes for more easily adaptable children. They are never grumpy because they stayed up too late, ate at the wrong time, or anything like that.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I started a routine with my kids from birth. Makes my life much easier because I know when they will be tired, when they will be hungry, etc. and can plan my day around it. I have 5 kids and without a schedule things would get crazy!

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I started right from birth also. It was easy to see whan the baby was tired and so that's when they went down for a nap. And feedings were based on how ling they could go between each. I based everything around those two things and it became easy and predictable.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think routine just kind of happens, more than something that's planned. They'll pick up on what you do every day, at they'll fall into their own routine as well. My son is three and he is VERY set on routine. It wasn't something that was intended, it just happened that way.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011