This is the first time ive ever had someone watch my son other than myself, husband or my mom. I've recently started classes, Monday to friday; classes run for about 1 hour. I've asked a friend of mine if she would watch my son while I am in class. She lives about 2 miles from the class location. I pack him snacks, dinner and stuff to keep him busy. He is potty trained. How much would you pay her?

ANTY-YAYAH

Asked by ANTY-YAYAH at 1:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would honestly pay like $5 an hour. Watching kids is hard!! Even if you are providing that stuff! And if she is only watching him 5 hours a week, that is $25, that seems pretty cheap to me.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• $10 and hour, but it also depends on where you live/
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'm an in-home daycare provider and I charge 30 a day (that's that rate in NJ) for 3 or more hours but anything less I charge 8 bucks an hour. If she is only watching him 1 hour a day I think 8 would be good.
    NicholeMWalls

Answer by NicholeMWalls at 2:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Depends on where you live. My friend paid me $400/month to watch her little girl a few years ago.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My fifteen year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter and gets paid $10 an hour

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would say $10/day (it sounds like it will be a little over an hour, w/ time to get to & from class, to & from her house). Ask around, see what other people are paying sitters and give your friend the going rate. You're lucky you have someone you trust to leave your son with!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• you can get an idea what people charge/pay in your area at care.com.  Use the pulldown at the site

http://www.care.com/care-p1271.html

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• THanks guys ! She is one of two people I would trust to care for my child other than my sister/mom/husband.
    ANTY-YAYAH

Comment by ANTY-YAYAH (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• There's really no right or wrong answer. It's determined by how much you can pay and how much people charge in your area. You don't want to be insulting by paying too little or jip yourself by paying too much. Whatever you decide, just make sure you both agree.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2011