Could this start a house fire?

NEVER cleaning the lint trap in your dryer? I do laundry a couple times a week I am constsantly cleaning the trap. Now mil is here and I have no idea what she washes while we are gone during the day. For one thing she does not have that much stuff to wash, anyway, I now have to check the trap before I do laundry and there is always at least a half inch of lint in there!

I worry this could start a fire!

Just one more reason mil has got to go!

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 1:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes, it's a fire hazard. It's scary how many people don't clean their lint screen. Don't their clothes take forever to dry that way?
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it can. I always check mine after every load.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Not only can it start a fire, it makes your drying time twice as long! I clean my lint screen EVERY time I do a load of wash!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would ask her to please remember to change the lint trap b/c it keeps the clothes from drying evenly. That would drive me nuts! Sorry you are going through that. I dont know if it would start a fire though, sounds like it might if not cleaned out normally
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes it can cause a fire from just one piece of lint and it wastes energy because it takes longer for clothes to dry. Newer clothes and towels in particular have the most lint. Every few months or so dhtakes the dryer completely apart and sucks out EVERYTHING from the back and in every crook and cranny that lint goes. You'd be amazed where it goes. My dad used to never ever clean the lint trap and one day the dryer stopped working completely. I went to see why the thing had stopped and I kid you not there was a ball of lint in the back of the dryer clogged up the size of 2 basketballs!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They had a woman on tv on a special showing how her dryer caught on fire because of lint growing in the vents. It was so sad.She was a single mom too. The insurance never covered her fire...
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes, it can.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes, and it should be emptied after each load of laundry.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011