I am thinking of buying a breast pump and have no idea of what brands, or where to start, in general. Can I get some help with this, please!?!

bonnabreastfeed

Asked by bonnabreastfeed at 2:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Medela is the highest grade of pump you can buy from everything I've heard,read and experienced. To save time, you want to get a double pump. Hands-free is always a plus too. Electric pump is good because manual pumps don't get near as much milk.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I used all Medela brand pumps. I have both a double electric and a manual pump. I loved them both and though the Medela brand is expensive, if you're as serious about BF as I was then it is WELL WORTH it!!!! I never had a single issue and I LOVE them!!! Easy to use and clean and the suction was perfect!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 2:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Thanks, Ladies! This is my first post, and already I am feeling the love!!! I will investigate further...
    bonnabreastfeed

Comment by bonnabreastfeed (original poster) at 2:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You're welcome and good luck!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have been looking at them, and I wondered, does one need a special bra??? I have not been wearing nursing bras, just shelf bra tank tops, and I am curious if the system requires a certain bra system??? A couple of the reviews mentioned it....
    bonnabreastfeed

Comment by bonnabreastfeed (original poster) at 3:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i had a medela, and that didn't need anything special. It really came with everything you needed. ive never heard of a kinda that requires a special bra
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 7:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It depends on how often you are going to use it and you personally. With my first 3 I rarely pumped, only for supplemental bottles on occasion and I had a single battery powered, which was okay. With my 4th I went back to work very part time when he was 6 months old so I pumped more and rented a double electric pump from the hospital - it was extremely efficient and fast.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If you have a WIC office you can call them they actually have good breastpumps I dont remember the name of mine but I know it works really good and they give you everything you need with it
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It depends on what you need the pump for. If you need it for work or school, you want a double electric medela or ameda. If you just need it for leaving baby every once in a while, a manual is just fine.

Personally, I get MORE with a manual pump and it works better for me. For my once a month or so need it worked great.

The special bra is for the hands free pump. You don't need anything special for everything else.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yep, loooove my medela. I also like that Medela has lots of accesories. For example, I just bought glass bottles that I can pump right into if I need to.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011