Hitting issues...PLEASE HELP!!!!

My son will be 3 in March and he recently developed a hitting problem. It's never aggressive hitting just playful hitting like when he gets excited or just when he walks by you. I just get so annoyed and I've tried telling him "no" and "thats not nice" or "that hurts please stop" and then when I say those things he just does it again!!! I don't know what to do??? I've tried time outs and he just throws a fit and cries inconsolably. Any advice???

XaviersMama311

Asked by XaviersMama311 at 2:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know it seems weird but ignore it. When he hits you act like you didn't even feel it. I have to do that to my son until he does it 3 or 4 times then I will say something.
    MamaLisec

Answer by MamaLisec at 2:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree with pp, this is probably an attention thing and the less attention you give this, the less he's going to want to do it.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Sounds like he does it to get attention try & find something he can take out that agression on maybe a sport
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 3:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son just started hitting, and here's what our pediatrician recommended: Step1: Immediately and seriously say "no hitting", Step 2: quickly redirect him to something else (here's a crayon or pet the fuzzy teddy). Repeat these 2-3 times if needed, but then if he's still being stubborn, say "no hitting" and put him in time-out. Yes he will throw a fit. He's being punished - he shouldn't be happy about it. Do this consistently and eventually he'll get the point. If he has some aggression that needs to get out, give him a special punching pillow or something similar. This advice makes sense to me, and so far it's working for us. Hope this works for you!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2011