What age do kids start having imaginary friends?

DD will be 3 in 3 more months and hre lately she is talking to ppl and things that don't exist. Is this normal? My older ds never did this. I heard her in the kitchen earlier today talking to our cat. She called the cat by name. Thing is the cat has her own room and doesn't roam around the house. DD was having a full conversation with the cat. She also pretends her toy dog that barks and walks is real and pretends to be an actual cat and dog herself. She and ds, who is 6 play "puppy" and "kitty" all the time where the bark, meow, chase each other on their hands and knees, beg like a dog and even lick lol. I'm just wondering if it's normal? Is she just advanced in her age for imagining these things?She's extremely bright, she knows all of the ABC's in random order and has an advanced vocabulary.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal and great for their development and wonderful that the two kids get along in that way. We know 3 families who's child had imaginary friends around the age of 3. They were bright children and it was adorable actually. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son had an imaginary komodo dragon for a couple months, then it was an imaginary butterfly. he never had a friend, but just a bunch of pets. he stopped at about 3 1/2. Its a great imagination. dont worry about it
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My daughter started this at about 2 1/2 years old.
    iluvmybabe

Answer by iluvmybabe at 5:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011