Breastfeeding later

I am breastfeeding my 18 month old son as well as still giving him the bottle. (This is mostly my husband) but the doctors and WIC people say that I should wean him off both. This isn't so easy to do, especaially since he sleeps with us and help himself sometimes.
They also say that he shouldn't be sleeping with us but my husband is from a country where they sleep with their babies until they are about two and can't stand to "let him cry it out" Any ideas?

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 4:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As far as the sleeping thing goes, there's nothing wrong with that at his age. There is no risk at his age for SIDS. As far as the breastfeeding thing, it's true that at 18 months, he doesn't need it anymore and will lose out on other nutritious foods that he should be eating more of. I would keep myself covered up to where he couldn't help himself at night. I would give him bottles only for the next few weeks and then gradually get him to a sippy cup only. You may try putting breastmilk in a sippy at first and then gradually dilute it with cow's milk and that way it's less noticeable of a change to ds.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We are doing that, he is pretty good at getting me uncovered. I don't really have very much milk at all and he eats as much or more than I do. He's getting pretty good at a regular cup too it's just that when he wants to sleep he will cry without a bottle or the breast and he is also pretty good at opening doors and climbing out of his playpen. Maybe I could get one of those old fashioned body suits we had back in the 70's with long sleeves and a turtle neck. LOL
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 4:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Myabe introduce a lovie and see if that will be his comfort at night. There's definitely no nutritional need for him to drink or eat in the middle of the night. He's using you for comfort and security.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That's a good idea, he hates blankets so I think I'll try his favorite stuffed tiger. I hadn't even thought of that, thanks!
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 4:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You're welcome :-)
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give him a sippy cup with water, and make sure that he is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• There is absolutely no reason to wean him if you don't want to. Breastmilk does not lose it's nutritional value as baby gets older. It is still beneficial to him.

As far as breastfeeding for comfort...what is wrong with providing comfort to a child? If breastfeeding is comforting to him and it's something you want to continue as well, don't let others tell you that you have to give it up.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree that you should start weaning from the bottle, as it can cause problems with jaw development, and issues with teeth if you allow him to fall asleep with it. As far as nursing though, go ahead and continue for as long as you and he wish to continue. You can continue to co sleep for as long as you are comfortable sharing your bed with him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• he usually doesn't fall asleep with it. What he does is to drink it down then had it to his father and start nursing to sleep. But we are working on it anyway because I personally don't like bottles. But my milk wouldn't satisfy him and he didn't even regain his birth weight after six weeks of straight breastfeeding. I tried everything but i couldn't improve my milk supply.
    I previously had nursed my other children without any problems whatsoever.
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I just learned something today. Low thyroid levels can cause a woman not to have a good milk supply. I have recently been diagnosed with low thyroid and started taking medication. The doctors say the baby can nurse because the medication doesn't cause any know problems. Wow, I guess you live and learn.
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011