Living with my daughter and my ex doesn't like it

I am living with my daughter who is about to be 31 next week. We share the bills and housekeeping duties with me babysitting my grandson. I am remarried and she will be getting married next Oct. Her husband to be is ok to continue this situation as they both work in health care and work odd hours. It's very convenient for me to be there in the house for babysitting, no having to cart kids around.
My question is that my ex tell me I'm pathetic for not earning my own living and I should get a real job and get out of my daughters house. What do you think?

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 4:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think your ex needs to mind his own business. I wouldn't talk to him at all. I would have loved to have had you helping me out with my kids when I was working outside of the home! Just laugh at him like he's the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard when he says crap like that. Make him out to be the crazy one. Act like it doesn't bother you one bit what his opinion is of you.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Really ? you are making your way. You're very valuable to this family. Having grandma around is great for the children, You're doing what a daycare cannot do.Really love the children. My Daughters MIL is able to watch their children which is a huge help because of the crazy hours the kids have to work at times. As the other Grandma I appreciate it so much, she's wonderful.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You know whats funny? I'm 31 and my mom is living with us, (or we are all living together) my husband and kids. She helps out with the kids while we work. I really agree it's healthier for the kids to be with grandma rather than a daycare. But we are doing the exact same thing you all are so it's not to uncommon...lol. Your ex needs to mind his own business and get over it. God bless
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• He's obviously your ex for a reason. Tell him to mind his own business and as long as the situation is okay for everyone who is actually involved in it, then keep doing what you're doing.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think he's jealous.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i think as long as your daughter and her husband arent complaining about the situation( and who would be with live in daycare) then your ex needs to step off and mind his own business..(maybe his reasons in saying this is because he feels uncomfortable at your daughters house with you in it?)
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think your EX is a pathetic idiot and you need to cut all ties with the jerk
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Frankly I think your Ex should keep his nose in HIS house and HIS business and not stick it into you/daughter's business!! The ONLY people who need to be concerned about your living arrangements and have a 'say' in it are you, your daughter, and the men in your lives (spouse/fiance). IF you and your daughter (and the men in your lives) are all ok with the current living arrangements, everyone is getting along, and the household is running smoothly, then why change?   I'd tell the ex to shut up and mind his own business!

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• what he really saying is babysitting is not a really job being home care work is not a really job in his eyes
    i am amazed in how people think as mother sit on their ass all day long doing nothing while the house is clean,
    laundry is done and food is cooked ,what they think a magic fairy came and done it
    your ex sounds like piece of work ,i can see why he became your ex in the first place keep up the good job grandma your grandchild will have best life ever is that what matter's
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think your Ex is jealous that you and your daughter have such a wonderful relationship and he is looking for a way to still bring you down...tell him to mind his business!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011