My son is failing the 2 grade, should I homeschool him?

My son was diagnosed with add and is failing the 2 grade. He forgets things he knows. We tried a natural product called Attend and he broke out in a rash. The doctor put him on Strattera and it made his throat hurt really bad so that he was crying all night.
I know that he won't be able to handle 3 grade work but I don't thinking failing him will help him much. I am thinking of homeschooling him so he can go at his own pace and not worry about what "grade" he is in. He also hates school, has since Kindergarden and would like me to teach him at home.

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 4:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would home school yes because he's probably not getting enough one-on-one attention in public school. Some ppl just learn better that way. Just be very patient with him and don't let him see you get frustrated because he will too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They ask a lot of kids nowadays. I have a kindergardener and he's reading words that they didn'y teach us in school until 2nd grade. He's also learning to tell time on a clock with hands, not digital!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Sounds like it could be more then ADD. I would push for the school to test him for other learning problems. Once he is diagnosed then he can get the help he needs. That doesn't necessarly mean that he will be in the Special education class. ( although for some that's not a bad thing) but he will get a teacher that is his case worker. That will keep track of his delevolpment. She will meet with him and help him with problems he is having. Plus keep in him in the main stream. Any compensations that he needs to have will follow him all the way to college. Say for instance he needs to be by himself so he isn't distracted by others while taking a test. The teachers will have to follow this, or they are going against the law. I wish we would have pushed our middle to be more throughly tested at that age. He wasn't until 7th grade. His brain was studdering when reading. He just needed on year with the speech teacher.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You need to really look at this. I understand your desire to do this, but here is something I would like to point out.

ADD doesn't go away. If you homeshool him, you will need to teach him coping skills to deal with his ADD. It should not be a "well he doesn't have to worry about what grade he is in". It should be a good time to teach him skills to cope and learn how to focus so that he can succeed later in life.

There are a lot of approaches to helping a child with ADD naturally. I don't recommend one over the other, as it is an individual preference. Look online or in a bookstore for books on this subject. Some of these are very precise scheduling regimens, some are diets, some are education tools. Good luck!!

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Does your son have a 504 plan with specific interventions in it that the teacher is mandated by law to follow? I would ask the school for one if you don't have one. There are accommodations that can be made for him so that he can be more successful. I'm sorry you are in this situation.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

That's what I searching my brain for this morning. if he doesn't push hard for it.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree w/ the earlier posters about getting the maximum testing and interventions from the school before you make the decision to home school. Since your son has ADD, and is forgetting things he knows, unless you have very specific strategies to help him learn and remember what he learns, he may be happier at home but he still won't be learning successfully. And once you leave the school system, I don't know if they have to provide services - I think not.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was going to suggest some things, but you have already received great advice.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Does he have an IEP?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Not sure what state you live in...most of these suggestions are all along the lines of what I would suggest. I'm not sure what a 504 plan is, I'm assuming it is like an IEP (like an Individual Education Plan). I would start talking to the teacher, and guidance counselor to find out support in your local area. I'm from PA and there are "wrap around" services for special needs children, like those with ADD, who have a team that works with you and the child. Teaching coping skills, learning skills, social skills, life skills, etc ... they are not there for education as the teacher or special ed teacher is ... it is strictly for behavior and emotional assisstance, etc. They also work in conjunction with the teacher and doctors. A TSS works 1:1 w the child, a BSC a/o MT head the case and make the treatment plan, this outlines the specific goals for the child and the steps to attain them as well as track them. feel free to msg me..
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011