would you send your morbidly overweight child to a weight loss camp ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I would. It is unfair for the child to be obese and have to face difficult health problems that may arise, and the pressures of his/her peers of being bullied!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If I tried everything and wouldn't work, then yes perhaps as a final solution. I would much prefer doing things with my child, take her to a nutricionist (her, cause I have a daughter, not for you, as I don't know the sex of your child) , get some tests done on her, get an appropriate diet and do it, while exercising with her, together. Try and make it as fun as possible. If nothing that I would do would work, then as a final solution, I may consider it although I am not comfortable with the thought of leaving my child with strangers for weeks. But that's me.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 5:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes I would! I would do it if my kids were mildly overweight. This is one of my biggest parenting fears.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Maybe, but only after checking out the program and making sure it's a good thing. I'd also consider sending my kid to some kind of sports camp (for all sized kids). SO many studies (and common sense) show that people are affected by their peers. If my kid sees lots of other healthy kids eating smart and exercising, he's likely to want to be this way too! And while my kid is in camp, I would make myself and my husband go to some kind of nutitional and health/exercise guidance program. This kid isn't going grocery shopping and subscribing to HBO on his own. Kids learn from their parents, so the whole family needs to change, ESPECIALLY the parents, or its not going to work. And I'm not judging!!! My hubby and I are overweight, and I'm working hard to learn how to make our whole family healthy. Luckily, our young son is very healthy (he eats better than me and gets way more exercise!!) I want to keep this up for his sake.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If methods at home had failed (Which home methods should always be first to try) then yes I would. Anything to help my child live a healtheir lifestyle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If all else fails, Yes I would! I'd also involve the child in picking out the camp.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 1:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would. Just check out the camp before you choose one. Maybe you could even volunteer there or something. What does your child think?
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 5:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think first I would try to set an example. I would keep no sweets or unhealthy foods in the house and cook very healthy. I would take my kid outside to play and exercise together. We wouldn't sit around and watch TV or play video games, I would find other activities that do not involve just sitting.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If I had a child classified as morbidly obese, I would do whatever I could to reverse the situation. I would talk to doctors, nutritionist and find out what is the best course of action for the child. If a weight loss camp was recommended, then I would look into it and make sure that it had good reviews and they taught healthy eating and exercise and probably go for it.
    Carly67

Answer by Carly67 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No. I would start cooking nutrition meals, and get plenty of fresh air and sunshine with him/her. I'd start by taking walks together...not excercise walks, just fun walks and doing things that are active....I'd also buy a wii fit for fun, and perhaps homeschool so he/she isn't indoors all day.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011