i wanna make dressing for thanksgiving any advice?

i want to make dressing, not the stuffing in a box, i wanna make homemade dressing, but i have no idea how to do that, does anyone know a fairly easy way to make it?

SHADYZGIRL1983

Asked by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I can tell you how I make it let me know if you want the recipe and I will message it to you.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 5:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Personally i hate all kinds of stuffing and dressing, but everybody who comes to our thanksgiving is madly in love with my moms recipe, and it's one of the first things to be eatin up so here it is.
    The ingredients are; 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, 3/4 cup of chopped onion, 3/4 cup finely chopped celery, 1 tsp. sage or poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, 8 cups of crumbled dry bread, 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth or water. Optional raisins, don't know how much though. Heat butter in saucepan and cook onion and celery just until tender, but not brown. Remove from heat and add sage, salt, and pepper. Place crumbled bread in large bowl and add vegetable mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing gently. Makes enough for 10 lb. turkey. And it's best if made the day you need it and not the night before.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I just throw it together I never hardley use a recipe for anything...... But I usually use 2 loafs of bread, about a can and a half of chicken broth, I slice up the celery and onions and put them in a pan with the sage and the butter and saute them all together then I put that in the bowl of torn up bread and poor the broth over it and stir it up and put it in a pan and bake it til its warm clear through..... pretty easy and very very good!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I think Finley is how my mom used to make it! I loved it!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i have some awesome recipes! If all depends on what you want. Personally, I am making cornbread stuffing with sage, apple and sausage. Cornbread stuffing is awesome, and my personal favorite, but I also have a lot of traditional stuffing recipes. I have an awesome recipe for a Cajun style stuffing as well. I never stuff my turkey with the actual stuffing, that way it's easier to concentrate on making a great stuffing after your bird is in the oven. Message me if you need help picking the best stuffing to compliment the rest of your meal, I pride myself on my menu planning abilities.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Do what Finley says and add a (16 0z) can of mushrooms and a pound of cooked bulk sausage. This is what I've been making for 34 years and everybody eats more stuffing than anything else and always want more! The only time they didn't like it was the time I put raisins and apples in, so I didn't do that again.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I like traditional dressing. I don't like any fruit or meat in it, at all. I make the same dressing as my mom and her mom before her. It is really easy! Just tear up your bread into relatively small pieces in a big bowl. I use a combination of wheat and white breads, usually a whole wheat and either shepard's or potato bread. Add a couple teaspoons of poultry seasoning (or sage, along with rosemary, thyme, and black pepper), celery salt, and pepper (fresh ground if you can). Saute chopped celery and onion with 1/2 stick of butter until tender, then add to the bread. Add enough chicken broth/stock to moisten very well. Mix everything together then taste for seasoning, adding salt & more pepper to taste. Now add 2 eggs and mix thoroughly. Bake, with or without the bird, until cooked through. If you're not adding it in the pan with the bird, use a buttered casserole..the crisp edges are so yummy!!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• lol...I'm lazy. I lay out a loaf of bread, spray it with a light coating of spray butter, and season it with garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, and pepper. Leave it to dry over night and then break it up small....I usually put it in a ziplock gallon bag and hammer it. Cut up half an onion and a few stalks of celery and boil them in a can of chicken broth (at least thats what I do, since I don't like it crunchy, but I suppose you can just test the veggies for the desired "crunchiness" for your own tastes) and when the veggies are cooked, add the bread mix, stir, and cover like you would the boxed crap. I really like it for being so simple. At least you've got some time to try out the different recipes to see what you like and get your recipe down.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2008