do u consider snooping through your teenagers belongings "proactive" parenting ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• as long as theyre under your roof , you have the right to look through all their belongings. Not only is it "proactive" its necessary nowadays.
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I believe you must keep up on what your teen is doing theses day its so much out there to get them in trouble. one day i was looking thru my daughter's things and i found adult movies . so i keep up on snooping in her stuff lol
    bettyboop55148

Answer by bettyboop55148 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Been there done that. Yes they were mad, but now that two olders are adults I have gotten a huge thank you.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes. Because esp at that age, our kids need our guidance even more.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• consider it? No consideration needed, absolutely I snoop!

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No. I believe it's an invasion of privacy and wrong. It's no different then your child going through your room and snooping through your things. If you can't trust your child then how do you expect them to trust you enough to come to you? They're not going to talk to you, going to confide in you, or going to share with you if they can't trust you. Now, the only exception is if I know they're lying to me and I suspect something dangerous is up. Whether it be drinking, drugs, or behavior from hanging around the wrong crowd. I'm not saying I wouldn't do anything to protect my kids, but I don't think the parent's first choice should be to snoop through a child's room.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'm with MsBrazil86...under my roof, it is not snooping...I bought it, I own it, I pay the mortgage...too much going on in society today not to "pay attention" to what comes in and out of your children (even if a 'teen') bedroom!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't purposely snoop, but if given a reason or something is left out in the open, I sure will snoop.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I believe you have the absolute right to snoop and look through your teen's belongings. They are in your house and you make the rules. I don't think they should be told if and when you are going to look . Just do it when they are not home and cross that bridge if and when you find something. I think I heard that the number one place for girls to hide something is in their jewelry box.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think that it's proactive to keep your radar up and to not hesitate to read notes, to look at IM's, to read emails, etc. if they are in a public area (a note in a pocket that you find while doing laundry, an IM on the family computer, etc.) and to listen when your children and their friends are within hearing distance, they are usually oblivious to the fact that sound travels. I never actually went IN their rooms and snooped. They never knew that I read notes or IM's because I never said anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011