My 10 year old sons wakes up before dawn, no matter what time he goes to bed. HELP!

KimmieRae70

Asked by KimmieRae70 at 7:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • Yikes! I am sorry. My kiddos sleep til 10 if I let them. It is really hard getting them up for school. They go to bed at 8pm...I really can't get them in bed any earlier than that. Is he special needs? If not...I just wouldn't get up with him. Ten is plenty old to be left unattended while you are in the house.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• thats just his internal clock, what I have to do is tell him that he has to stay in his room until 9am. Until then he can do whatever quiet activity he wants. Thats the best I'm gonna get outta my DS.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• He is old enough to do quiet activities until everyone else wakes up. Tell him that until ___ time he has to play quietly or read in his room. Make sure he is going to bed early enough to get a full nights sleep.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree with Keksie. I was the same way and knew my boundaries when my parents were asleep. I used to get up and watch VH1 or Mtv and get in trouble lol.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• He's 10, so that shouldn't make any difference for you. Sleep in and let him get himself a bowl of cereal and some cartoons in the morning. He's a big boy, he can handle it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son is 10. When he wakes up early I tell him to lay down and watch tv till 8 than he goes down stairs on his own if we dont have hockey. He lays around playing quitley watching tv until i get up he even gets his own breakfast. He is independent and trustworthy. I dont feel that I have to get up with him on the weekend. Its not ooften because we have church sundays and often have early ice on sat. Let yoursel have a treat. Sleep in for an hour (unless there is a reason you cant trust your son) give him limits and see what happens. My son reqwuires no sleep its been that way since he was a baby. Good luck.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• um, so What's the problem?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• All of my kids are like that from 15 yrs old - 8 yrs old. I put black out curtains in their rooms, an alarm clock and a rule that they can't come out until 6:45 on school days and 8 on weekends. It's the only thing that has saved our sanity!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 12:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• thanks y'all! You make me feel much better...I just worry about him getting up so early on school days; I feel like he's gonna be tired by lunch. But he *seems* fine, so maybe that's just the amt of sleep he requires. The not coming out of his room until a certain time is a great idea though. I will try it!
    KimmieRae70

Comment by KimmieRae70 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2011