Is now really the time to scale back the military?

So, hubby came home yesterday and told me they are reducing the number of troops. With troops still deploying, after having one years downtime, is NOW really the time to scale back?
*Chaptered out for being overweight-snide comments aside, if they can still do their job, they should stay. Many not overweight can't do their job.
*E-6 can't stay in past 6 years.
*other ranks can't stay past whatever year
IDK what other stipulations are, but seriously, NOW?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What threat is there that we need to have over 12 million troops worldwide?

The Cold War has been over for 20 years and we still have the same amount of military as we did during the threat of Communist Invasion.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't panic over it, it's been this way since the beginning of time...they are always scaling back, moving forward, changing, building, you name it....and there is always someone using fear tactics to upset everyone....just go with the flow...there is not much you can do about life's absurdities anyway...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My husband is military and they are always on the news saying they will be pulling troops out. But they may be pulling them from one area and sending them to another. Deployment is scheduled a long time in advance. For instance, he will be leaving this October to begin to train for deployment next year. I don't even pay attention to the news and what they say, it's biased and the information the government wants them to release...therefor not true or accurate for the most part. Because then the whole world would know what this country is planning.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• This isn't from the news. It's from work. And I think it's a mistake. I think there are better ways to scale back, like to get out those that just can't do their job, not ones that are overweight. Not ones that are in rank for too long. Being in rank too long doesn't mean they can't do their job. Sometimes, many times it means they don't get their knees dirty. There are others that should be chaptered out first. Plenty of bad seeds.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I doubt that the military is scaling back, we had fat people or whatever that couldnt do their jobs and they were still in and were still getting deployed. your government property baby and it is going to stay that way..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yeah because jobs are plentiful right now :eye roll:
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• What branch of service makes an E-6 get out after 6 years? In some branches, people aren't even eligible for E6 until 5-6 years. I joined the wrong service!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They are scaling back by making it more difficult to change your MOS (job), transferring to another post, or delaying your re-enlistment, for those who are wanting to stay in. They know it will discourage some, so they just opt to leave.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 9:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Force Shaping has been going on for a few years, now. Certain career fields are over manned in areas that are over budget.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Tnmom they don't care what happens with them after they're out so long as they can add them to the number of scale backs.

Izrarejman, I've known Marines who made E6 at 3 years in maritoriously, what branch are you in?

OP They say they're just getting rid of the idiots that can't do the job and shouldn't have been let in in the first place, and so far I've been seeing that; but I'm willing to bet if we just wait for it there's going to be several damn good soldiers fall into that category for some moronic reason. We are talking about the military after all. I've said it before and I'll say it again if we got rid of fraudulent privitization companies the budget problems of our military would all but be over, and the lives of those of us that live the life would be easier not having to deal with cattiness from their employees.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2011