Premie Moms: Anyone put their kids on Synergis during RSV season?

My Peds office has had the health department calling me everyday about putting my twins on it because they were premature and it's supposed to protect them against RSV anyone had any experiance with it?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 5:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am a pediatric nurse. I have also bee the Synagis coordinator at my office for the past 4 years. Depending on the current age, gestational age, & other risks it is recommended.
    It's given every 28days through the RSV "season."It is only effective for 28-30 days after each injection, which is why you have to keep all the appointments. I know it's a pain in butt to have to go in every 4wks to get the shots, but especially if your insurance covers it then YES.... PLEASE GET IT FOR THEM. It's way easier than sitting next to a hospital crib w/ a baby on a ventilator.
    Colds for pre-term babies are ROUGH. All the mucus that RSV causes makes it hard for them to breath. Synagis won't prevent run of the mill colds.... it will protect against the most deadly kind which are caused by Respiratory Syncitial Virus (RSV).
    You can go to synagis.com for more info!!!
    Please Please Please consider it!!!
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 9:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes. My twins were both on it for the first season after their birth. It prevented them from hospitalization. The ped. explained that it protects against most upper respitory infections. My girl still had a little bronchial infection, but I believe it would have been much much worse if she had not had the shot. You can pm me if you have any questions.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my second one had that Synergis, he still got RSV but dr said it would of been worse with out having that med, he was abled to be treated at home with nebulizar. so i say go for it . he had no side effects from it
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes!! Put them on it. My sons 3 was a 32 weeker and my son who is 13 months was a 28 weeker. They both had synagis shots. My 2 year old actually had it for 2 years because he got resp. illness after another. Each of my boys spent time in the NICU and each of the boys ended up getting a resp infection that landed them in the hospital. Thank God for the apnea monitor because each of the boys would have passed in their sleep. RSV can kill a baby or make them very sick. We spent 6 days in the PICU with our 3 year old when he was 4 weeks old and had only been home for 10 days from the NICU. The PICU is not a fun place. It is very scary and when you look at the pros and cons to synagis. The cons win. It is worth it. Take advantage of protecting them from getting RSV. Any questions please PM me.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 8:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes. My twins were born at 30 weeks in Feb 2005. They got the RSV vaccine the first winter. Tricare was not going to cover them a second year and my pedtrician wrote an letter of appeal to get them the vaccine their second flu season. They spent 6 weeks in the hospital after they were born and I didn't want to see them go back for RSV, so we did the shots.
    BusyMom71

Answer by BusyMom71 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my 15 month old had it her first winter and now my 3 month old is getting it also. everyone in our house was sick last year and the baby was fine. i was thanful for the shot
    lilredsfrm67

Answer by lilredsfrm67 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Thanks for your advice ladies. I wasn't given very much information about it and ya'll know how everything looks good on paper but in real life sometimes... but I appreciate your honest answers... they go for their first shot next week.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2008