so how come??

So how come we are always complaining about welfare programs, when tax payers only spend about 1% of their taxes on it?? Shouldn't we be more pissed off on how the government spends the rest of our taxes??? 1% of taxes going to welfare programs see like such a small amount so if we are paying out the butt on taxes where is the rest of it going??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 8:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We are not only paying 1%... Yes, that percentage is taken out of our pay, but the other taxes we pay are also apportioned to welfare and other such programs. I certainly don't mind paying my share to support those who are UNABLE to support themselves (children, elderly, disabled), but it makes me angry to know that many of the people my money goes to are perfectly capable of working to support themselves and their families. They choose to take a free ride on the backs of America's working people. Yes, to answer your question, it also makes me angry that our tax dollars are wasted by our government. Perhaps the government would get the message if we all took a few weeks off without pay and hence, without paying taxes.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• neebug i totally understand you and how you feel but i think we as people forget that there are those out there that cant work. Due to whatever reasons. Most of them are probably health reasons or mental reasons but every one thinks that if you do have these problems that you always get the help you need and you dont in most cases get that help.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Because of crap like this!

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/04/local/la-me-welfare-20101004

I have met no one the begrudges those in need. But there are entirely to many loopholes and too much waste. As with MANY OTHER government programs. The massive amounts of waste and fraud need to be cleaned up and that would go a long way in helping. But the politicians (and many on here) go straight to the "you hate poor people" when you start talking cracking down.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• but i think we as people forget that there are those out there that cant work.

They are usually the ones who are nearly in wheelchairs that have to keep fighting for three years to get disability while the meth heads get it right away.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• ya but mom03404 isn't California broke so wouldn't there draw on welfare programs be really high right now??
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• But the politicians (and many on here) go straight to the "you hate poor people" when you start talking cracking down

So true. But the real reason is when you have the people dependant then they are more easily controlled.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• So how come we are always complaining about welfare programs
    ----
    Who are " we ".
    Rarely do I complain about welfare programs, In fact I don't really recall complaining about welfare at all.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• when tax payers only spend about 1% of their taxes on it??
    ------
    any amount that is wasted and fraud filled is too much
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Shouldn't we be more pissed off on how the government spends the rest of our taxes???
    ----
    google TEA Party
    aren't " we " pissed about how they spend any and all of our tax payer dollars?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• any amount that is wasted and fraud filled is too much

I want to know if any one actually knows how many are fraudulent the system??? cause i don't think any one on here actually knows. And every one thinks that it is a ton of people doesn't mean it is since there really isn't any way to prove who is committing fraud and who isn't.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2011