constipation/hard stools in my 2 yr old

HELP! I have tried everything. I'd like to start potty-training, but it's next to impossible when my child has gut-wrenching 'poops'. (No bleeding or tearing, but difficult and large enough to cause me concern.) I really don't want to go to synthetic-type of medication. Does anyone have an answer that's natural to get her back on the right track. (Prunes have not worked). THANK YOU!

BizzyB2009

Asked by BizzyB2009 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say give her apple juice, prunes and grapes. These things will help her. Try and stay away from things like cheese and things that will bind her up. Fresh fruit is good as well. I have a friend who has to give her DD these things all the time and if her DD stops drinking juice she will get constipated.

If it doesn't get better then I would talk to the doctor. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• For colon health she needs the right combination and amount of fiber, oil, like fish oil, and water. If prunes have not worked she probably needs either more water or oil. But you can also try water with light corn sirup for temporary relief.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The culprit in many cases of toddler constipation is a diet that's too heavy in processed foods and sweets, and too light in fiber (like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables). Not getting enough fluid can also lead to constipation, because it makes the stools harder. Any change in diet can also affect the stools.

To soften the stools and make them easier to pass, increase the amount of fluid and fiber your child gets each day. High-fiber foods include fruits and fruit juices (prune, apple, pear, grape), vegetables (broccoli, peas), beans, and whole-grain breads and cereals. Limit foods that can increase constipation, such as fatty foods that are low in fiber.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I periodically give my son, same age, an oz or 2 of prune juice mixed in with a few oz of water. This keeps him moving when he gets hard stools. If he won't drink it, I give it to my son warm, give him grapes, prunes, raisins, oatmeal, fresh fruits and more water. My grandma showed me an old old trick....shave a small piece of Ivory soap (like the size of your finger tip) and put it in the rectum, just slide inside with tip of finger. This melts and softens the end of the poop making it able to slide out easier. I had to do this a few times with my 1 yr old and within 15 minutes he got it all out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Get some ground flax seed and add it to some muffins or oatmeal. Flax seed has always done the trick in our house. Remember that everyone is supposed to have 3 to 5 servings of veggies and 5 to 6 servings of WHOLE grains every day. If you do that, you will be regular.

Some toddlers resist potty training by holding everything in. It is amazing how much control they can have when they put their mind to it. This can cause some serious constipation. Maybe she isn't quite ready for potty training.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Try karo syrup in her drinks......also, cut back on milk, and add juice....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Cut way back on meat and dairy; eliminate both if possible.

Lots of water to drink, no juice or milk.

Replace all white/simple grains with whole grains

Fruits and vegetables - 7 servings a day, in at least three different colors

Add legumes to your family's diet.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2011