DD is sick, my thermometer is a (expensive) digital temple one, but it seems to give inaccurate readings... >:\ What is the most reliable type of thermometer to give the most accurate readings, and when do you add/subtract a degree for where it's placed?

Seriously... the dig. thermometer ALWAYS says my temp is in the 97.-something range, and when I'm feeling the chills it goes up to 99 or something. I just took DD's temp and it read 101.6, I gave her Ibuprofen, immediately took it again because she JUST DIDN'T FEEL that hot to me, and it said 99.3. WTF??

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Health

• The most reliable is an old-fashioned mercury thermometor......98.6 in the mouth, 97.6 under the arm, and 99.6 in the rectum...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yep, the old fashioned ones are the most accurate. I threw away all of our digital ones. They just aren't reliable. Leave it in place for a full three minutes.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I use an ear thermometer and have never had a problem.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have an ear thermometer but DD thinks it's a toy and immediately yanks it out of my hand when I come at her to use it,and makes it impossible for me to get it back. Then I find it and the battery is dead. :{ I might have to get a 2nd ear thermometer just so she can play with one while I do her temp.
    Do you add a degree to the ear ones?
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• we have a temperal one, when it started giving diffrent reading, we changed the batteries and it worked great again! recatally is the absolute most accurate, though!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 3:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011