Dogs in the car...

Do you keep them in a crate or carrier or use a doggie seat belt? We are adopting a puppy and wondering what is best. Also, the back seat of my truck doesn't leave much room with two car/booster seats back there, thoughts?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 8:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pets

• When my dog was younger and I had no kids, she was in a dog carseat. Now she roams free (she is a little dog). However when I had a big dog, I crated them cause its hard to let a lab walk around a car
    AshleyGrantham

Answer by AshleyGrantham at 8:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our dog is only 9 months old and can get quite hyper. She's a Puggle (Pug/Beagle Mix), so she also gets very distracted and likes to roam around sniffing. Therefore, we find it best for her to put her crate in the car when we have to take her somewhere. It keeps her safe and it keeps us from having to wrangle her down to one place every few minutes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have a chow chow and i let her sit in the back set, she is well behaved and only rides in the car when i take her to the vet or groomer
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 9:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Please don't let your dog ride in the back of the truck, crated or not. It's just not safe.

I tried a puppy seatbelt (bought at pet store). They're great. Unfortunately, my dogs were too tiny and wiggled out of them. One of my dogs always rides in the back seat, and the other rides in the seat next to me, or next to my kid in backseat. They're really good at laying down and riding nicely now.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Boobarandbell, what do you mean don't let them ride in the back of the truck? You just said yours right in the back seat and front seat....do you think when I said truck I meant a pick up truck? OMG, I would never allow any living thing to ride in the back of a pick up! When I said truck, I mean I have a small SUV.... so either the dog would sit in the back seat with the kids, the front seat with me or in a crate in the back....trying to figure out what is safest and easiest and my pleasant for the dog.
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my dogs go in the back of a van, in a travel crate. They are all large breeds. A crate or a seat belt system is the safest way for dogs to travel in a car. If your puppy is a small breed, you can use a small travel crate that could be placed on the floor of the backseat or passenger front seat floor. Otherwise, you might also consider having your SUV dealer install a dog gate, which would section off the back area for the dog, providing a safe barrier if you were in an accident.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The safest place for dogs when traveling in a car is the crate. But that is not always possible depending on the size of the dog, crate and car. I have 3 dogs and when we travel two are lose in the way back(they lay down) and the third is in a crate because he can't seem to settle down.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We have a lab. He rides in the back of the Jeep or the back of the Honda. He lays down as soon as the car starts moving.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Remember to NEVER, EVER leave the dog in the car in the summer...EVER!!! Hundreds of dogs die each year from heat stroke after their careless owners leave them locked in a hot car.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• you should never put the dog in the front seat! I was stupid enough to do this with my golden retriever when I was a teen. Zippy was awesome in the car and would just lay there so it did not bother me that she rode in the front seat. Until the day someone ran a stop sign and hit us on the front passenger side. Zippy went flying forward. I don't know why she did not go through the windshield as much force as there was from that car.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011