I am having issues communicating with my ex husband in regard to my 8 year old. The only line of communication is through text messages. I would like to know how some mothers deal with communicating with an ex in regards to their children.

luvmy3boys757

Asked by luvmy3boys757 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• My sister has 2 kids from 2 different fathers. They are all a bunch of head cases... so their communication is always a disaster. They do text a lot, but honestly.. it makes me think of highschool. You have kids together.. act like adults. Call. Find a way to meet up and discuss your child. This is more about your child and his/ her well being than your personal issues.
    Good luck.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have had emails with communication in regards to our son, and I get along with my ex for the most part. Sometimes I don't have time to talk on the phone with other things going on. If he has something going on at school I'll email him, and text him to make sure he's gotten the message. There are times we talk on the phone, but I have full custody so the major decisions have always been left up to me, and if it's something I don't feel comfortable with making the decision fully on my own, I talk to my husband, then talk to my sons dad.

Friend reading over my shoulder states (It depends on what you are communicating about)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Usually if I don't contact him through text or phone he doesn't call or have any kind of communication about our 6 year old son.....A year ago I stopped trying. It's not up to me to make my idiot ex-husband BE a father and contact our son. He called maybe once every 3 months or so. Now he's back in town, living with his parents and jobless....and maybe calls to talk to our son about every 3 weeks or so. As far as cluing him in on things our son does....I have sole custody, if he wants to know he can ask, I no longer contact him to discuss anything.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Hate to tell you this but texting is the worst form of real communication. If you need to get an important message across you need to suck it up and call him. Text do not convey voice inflection which is a major part of the way we interpret communication.

It sucks. I know. I've done it. But it gets better the better you communicate
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 9:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We had this written into our custody agreement. It says that email is the "preferred method of communication" and there is a specified amount of time for us to get back to one another. Only in emergency situations do I call him. For us - it's a good thing that there is no voice inflection in the communication!

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My ex husband loves to pick fights and start any kind of drama with me over the phone. I had to resort to text messaging with him or every verbal conversation ended up with me hanging up on him.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 1:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My ex and I are currently going through some legal stuff, and we have a "no contact" policy going on. Can you imagine? It's awful. We have to communicate through my sister, because she knows how to speak reasonably to him and he'll listen to her. I don't like putting the stress on her, but she's willing to help. My mom and my brother's dad had it bad too. My brother is 13 and they've been divorced for like 10 years... and he STILL won't talk to her. They send messages through my poor brother. Men!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011