Do you have secret family recipes that you aren't allowed to share?

I don't, but I know some people who do.

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• There is one on my side..and one on my husbands side. My Mom wants that candy recipe so bad it's killing her..but I promised. :)
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes my grandma had a cabbage soup recipe and only my mom knows it.
    amy7243

Answer by amy7243 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I do have recipes that I won't share, I am in the process of running a home based bakery so I feel that some of my secrets should be my own...I know some families who won't cook certain things if someone is in the home that doesn't know the recipe. But that is what makes family recipes so special.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• He! He! He! Wouldn't you like to know... LOL!!!

Actually, no but I'm in the process of collecting favorite recipes from relatives for a Family Cook Book.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Actually, I had a friend who had a Hummingbird Cake recipe that she refused to share. Ok, understandable. Then she had a kitchen fire, and the recipe was gone. She came to me asking me to re-create it, which I was able to. I always share my recipes, even though I had my own restaurant and catering firm. People love when you do that, they make it at home, it reminds them of your restaurant, and they come back and say they loved having me make it for them. I never felt that I lost business because of sharing recipes, but I did feel like I gained.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My greatgrandmother passed on her family secret recipes before she passed. Each of the women got 1 and we were not supposed to tell the others. Her idea was that we'd be forced to come together for holidays. We shared the recipes instead. I think I'm the only one who got all of them though.... I lived with her for awhile and I was always in the kitchen with her.

Pumpkin Squares (pumpkin custard cobbler)
    Cloverleaf rolls (variation of parkerhouse rolls)
    fried chicken
    angelfood cake
    coconut balls
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have 1 - it isn't a family recipe, but it was created by someone I used to work with, she shared it with me and swore me to secrecy.
    Anonymous