Does schools make more money the worse kids do??

i have a daughter that brings mom nothing but good grades, everytime we talk to her teacher she says nothing but good things about her. suddenly we get aapp. for tutoring that we don't fill out because she is doing so good in school. yesterday we get a letter from her teacher stating that if she don't get tutoring she will run the risk of being retained. this is the FIRST thing we have heard all school year about her not doing well in school. which has me and dh confused on how she can tell us great thing then suddenly change and says she is going to fail if we don't put her in tutoring. it really don't make since.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I smell something fishy?
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would schedule a meeting with the teacher and ask those very same questions.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Every state is different. But my state, the poorer based school districts get more money. The nicer the school district (income levels of that district), the less funding for various things. school districts do try to use up all the money they get, otherwise they may get less the next year, as they will be seen as needing less, regardless if the next year they need more or not. It's politics.

But if i was told my child was doing well, then all of a sudden as risk for failing, i would be up at the school in an instant to find out what's going on. Don't be afraid to ask ANY questions that comes to mind. It's YOUR child's eductation, you have every right to see her records and ask any questions.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Go in & meet w/ the teacher ASAP.

And start saving any school work she brings home if you don't now.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Over here the worse your school does, the less funding you get. I think you should schedule a meeting to talk with the teacher. I honestly can't see a teacher fudging a students grades just to gain more money (if that is in fact the case where you live).

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• that's just it everything that the teacher send home is good grades. As and Bs. dh talks to the school on a weekly basis and all she ever says is how well she is doing and a eager learner. not once has she said she is having problems with this or that.

we live in the poorest county of the state. they try and get us to transfer our kids to another school every year. a neighbor of ours they fought with her on sending her kids there saying she was out of distric and needed to pay a fee. they fought for 3 months on in before the school adminted they made a mistake.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Talk to the teacher about what her concerns are, and if you don't get a good answer, talk to the principle.

Poorer districts do get a lot of money from the government because they don't have the tax base to support them. They have to live up to academic standards though - if enrollment or standardized testing scores fall below a certain level their funding gets cut. That just happened in our district (one of the reasons we're moving), and they tried to pass a levy which failed. I expect the state to come in and take over at some point.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Schools can be shut down my the government if there are too many kids failing. The amount of money a school gets per kid is based on attendance and standardized testing, not on anything else.

Your situation has nothing to do with funding but a teacher that isn't doing their job. As parents WE need to be the one contacting the teacher every couple of weeks to see how our kids are doing. Especially if papers are coming home with low grades on them or if no papers are coming home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• the principle don't listen to me about anything... she has already been told if the school don't improve she is gone.

and as i have stated before we talk to the teachers on a weekly bases she has never said anything is wrong or that she needs to improve on anything. her report cards and graded papers are alwasy on grade level or above grade level.... never below grade level.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Where I live, the poorer performing schools seem to have NO MONEY. Those districts with higher performance are the well off districts with supplies, technology, programs, etc etc etc.

Anonymous