Do you think that schools should be teaching Table Manners?

I had lunch with my son at his school last week (he invited me). He is in the 3rd grade. The children go into the lunch room and talk with their mouths full, eat with their fingers, mix food with their drinks, and all sorts of things to gross each other out....it was hard to eat in that atmosphere, not to mention my son comes home and tried this stuff at the table, and it is so irritating to be told that it is "normal". A lot of things are "normal", that doesn't make them acceptable....

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do think that good table manners (along with good manners in general) should be reinforced at school. Talking with your mouth full is unacceptable anywhere and I would be mad if my child's teacher (or whoever was in charge at the moment) didn't reprimand my kid if they were doing that.

That being said-I think it should be reinforced but not the primary teaching tool for good manners; that SHOULD be the parent's job. Although...a good study of general etiquette would be swell in middle school...

We're saving our pennies to send our children to private school specifically because this school enforces proper behavior and uses art and music as teaching tools for other subjects so I know that what's being taught at home will carry over to school.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No its the parents job.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it depends how it is being taught.
    I remember when I was in K, my teacher taught us table manners, but that was because we were at HER table, as she called it. and that's how she taught us. At MY table, this is how you behave. We were also taught the textbook table manners at Home Ec class, it was more of a textbook thing, we had to do a dinner party in class, we all cooked something and shared and we had to follow the table manners we were taught.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's not the school's job to parent, that's our job!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Like the schools don't have enough to deal with. No, that is the parents' job.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am afraid that this generation of parents do not know good table manners either. I know there are exceptions.
    This is so important and should be taught or retaught.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• it is the parents job, in our home we teach table manners and if the girls start acting up we have a manner book we go over and we make a game out of practicing.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Here they do. In the first grade. After the course they then have a special lunch with the principle to show off their new skills. Unfortunately most parents don't help their kids keeps this new skill.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• even if it were taught- do you think that in a cafeteria full of KIDS it would matter?
    and at home-the parents should moniter meal time ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I believe training children in the way you want them to behave is the parent's job. Teachers and school personell have enough to do without taking on these responsiblities. Our school expects the children to behave decently but as far as training manners, that's a pretty personal choice (sadly) and no, it's not the job of educators to do that, IMHO.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011