Would you be bothered if your child was told this at school.

My son has Science once a week with another teacher. This teacher told the class 'There is no such thing as magic-It's all just science' I can't decide how I feel about her telling my 6 year old this. I mean I don;t believe in magic but I kinda like that he still does. what would you feel?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a feeling more was said and your child stuck on the "there is no magic in science" part. She was probably explaining and experiment and showing that it is not magic that there is a process invovled. Before you freak out, talk to the teacher about what was really said. 6 year olds are not the most reliable source of information.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't like it -- That would be the same as saying, "There is no Santa" --
    Kids should be able to believe in magic, fairy dust and Santa for as long as they can! There is PLENTY of time for reality later!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It would have been much better if she'd said something like "A lot of the things people think are magic can be explained with science."

Maybe you can ask that she phrase this a little more gently, especially for such young children.

Anytime my son has had some illusion shattered like this, I ask him what he believes - and he still believes in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and magic!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I guess it wouldn't bother me much because I had the best answers to these problems when I was a child.
    My mom always came back with things like: "Not everyone believes in magic, and only people that do can see it. Just concentrate on science while you are in school." or any number of other things to that effect.

She was a teacher, and she understood that there is no room for magic in a science classroom. She, however, would've never said something that blunt to a 6 year old kid.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Who says that magic doesn't exist?  I would be upset and I would have a word with that teacher.  He is 6!  That's part of him having an imagination.  I feel like she was way out of place to tell him that.  And it's her personal opinion anyways, not a FACT.  "Magic" can be interpreted as many different things.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I tell my kids the truth so wouldn't mind if the teacher said anything about magic not being real. Then again, we don't teach our kids about make-believe stuff. The fact of the matter is, magic is not real - it's tricks and optical illusions.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Teachers editoralize sometimes in my son's hs. But that is a more appropriate age to firgure out and determine for themselves what is being said. At 6? Not so much. Poor choice of words but I am sure she will be more careful if she is made aware about it. GL with her.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I always tell my kids teachers doesn't know everythin - they know a lot, but not everything. I don't want my kids blindly following any one... learn to question... but in a respectful way ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it's a bit much for a 6 year old, I think they should still have their imagination at that age, teaching them that it's "science" is confusing and too much for them to grasp at that age imo
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Knowing my two, I think my first thought would be "I wonder how she actually said it." Perhaps she was a bit gentler but what he took from it was the blunt version he shared. There have been plenty of times my kids have shared something that isn't exactly what happened - not that they're doing anything wrong, just what they hear and interrupt is not always verbatim or the original intent.

Beyond that though, my 8 year old likes toying around with magic tricks and has from a young age. We've always talked about how magic is a trick - it's making you think something is happening that really isn't. That, however, has never dampened his enthusiasm for Santa, the Easter Bunny, the ToothFairy, etc. And yet, he also understands the difference between fact and fiction.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2011