Need words of wisdom

A co-worker (works for me) just lost her grandma. Last month, she lost her younger brother to a car accident. She is just 21.

She is a wonderful girl and I feel really badly for her being so young and dealing not only with this but a mother that is terminal with cancer and an aunt that has mental issues.

I need some words of wisdom for a card for her. Can any of you think of the perfect passages that will guide me and/or her?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Psalm 61 is a favorite of mine, very comforting!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would definately take Mama K's advice. If this girl is not a Christian, and she gets a card filled with bible verses, it may work to piss her off. I know it would me. If she is, have at it. If not, or you don't know, you may want to stick to a more "secular" message.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• "Be still and know that I am God".......it gets me through a lot.....and I have been where your co-worker is and know how overwhelming it is.....Also, just be her friend. Be solicitous without necessarily talking about what she's going through all the time....but let her talk if she needs to....does that make sense?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Just write what god gives you in your heart. The best thing to do is be her listening ear and let her know God loves her.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't know if you'd want to get her a book, but this is a good one for someone who is grieving:

Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working Through Grief by Martha W. Hickman

Also, A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Is she Christian? Do you know FOR SURE?

If not I'd stay away from Scripture and stick to things like "It'll be OK" and "Death is a part of Life", and the like.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree with the making sure she is Christian before giving her Bible quotes or the like. I have had to explain to people who were trying to be kind to me during a diffcult time in my life that I was not Christian. While I appreciate their words, I felt put on the spot when I had to explain my beliefs during an already trying time. You are doing something kind for your fellow human, just make sure she follows your same belief first.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That is so sad and awful! I hope this helps...

One of my favorite verses...
    "To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified." (Isaiah 61:3)

"Turn the unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses. Look upon mine affliction and my pain, and forgive all my sins." (Psalm 25:16-18)
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• "O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou haste healed me." (Psalm 30:2)
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Ditto the C.S. Lewis book. Also the lyrics to "Be Still My Soul" have been of great help to me.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2011