do you/dh or SO each have designated 'personal space' in your home?

y'know, like he has his office or man-cave..you have a craft room or whatever...if not, is it a bone of contention that one has his/her space, and the other doesn't?

we don't..and i think we're gonna go head2head over the extra bedroom  we have left empty. (the whole family uses the office.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 9:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• dullscissors.....I'm like that with the kitchen too!! I always joke that he can't cook, but the truth is, I don't like him in the kitchen....it's my domain, and he's really messy when he cooks, plus if he did cook we wouldn't eat until 10pm.....and did I mention that he's 9 inches taller than me and he used to rearrange the cupboards so that things were at his eye level ( he does BBQ, and the salt, pepper and garlic powder would always be out of my reach when he was in there!!!

Anyway kitchen is mine, spare room is mine.....hmmmmm I think it's his evil plan so that I do all the cooking and alterations.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have a cave. It is a tiny room off my kitchen that used to be my dining room. When I am in there with the door closed, everyone knows that I do not talk to them so don't bother me. I also keep stuff that nobody is allowed to touch in there.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our youngest just moved out, and now I have a sewing/craft room, but he doesn't really have a space of his own.....he pretty much considers the garage his though. It's not really an issue, I think he's happy that the dining room table isn't covered with my sewing or scrapbooking stuff all the time.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Not really. DH has an office (he works from home sometimes), but I'm free to go in there, use his printers/fax, whatever. I don't go into his man cave where he keeps all his tools and things by choice! :) I don't really have a "me" place, I don't need one.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• He has a mancave for his junk and electronics. What pisses me off most about it is his junk still ends up in the bedroom and other places. The main reason I liked the idea was cause he told me I wouldn't have to look at his mess or have it everywhere. I don't have a "womancave" so we agreed that the bedroom will be to my liking so I can go in, lock the door, relax, lie down, and have the master bathroom if I need it (pregnant and peeing a lot) when I need a break. Unfortunately this doesn't really happen since his clothes and junk still end up in there. DD's toys still make their way in too. And the cat and the rat. DD doesn't really understand or accept yet that Mommy closes doors to be alone (like to go to the bathroom). But if I tell her to ask Daddy for something when he's in his mancave, she says "I can't. He's busy." There is some resentment since I can't be alone or have my own space like he can.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• scuba..me, too. i love to bake, so i feel like the kitchen is all mine!! (i know that sounds anti-feminist! lol!)..and i'm a gardener, so the outdoor spaces are all mine, too.

just don't know what we're gonna do with that room. :))
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011