are we all a category, are we all just a stereotype? Really?

someone has this as their though bubble and it is really interesting and I commented on a post (mine) about how this was an issue with adhd being just a routined overused and boring attitudinal school outlook upon children with adhd or the .......''stereotype'' and label, and category that so many schools have just branded them with.

are children branded?

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 10:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in

• A lot depends on the school system and the teachers. Sure, some kids are treated according to their diagnosis. Some teachers use the "brand" as a starting point, and work with the child as an individual.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I believe they are branded, and I resist that as much as I can.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We are all labeled, categorized and pigeonholed; it's the nature of our society. It doesn't matter if the child is "branded" as having ADHD or as being "the smart one" or "the atheletic one" or "the social butterfly", they're still labeled & there are certain expectations associated with those labels, whether true for that specific child or not.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Generally, yes. And I think getting teachers and administrators to see past the label your child is wearing is maybe the most important part of advocating for your child.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I believe so, and mostly branded negatively. It's sad and why I have pulled my child out of school.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 10:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• no..... if your kid has adhd... that is fine... accept it and help them - the point of labels is so that the kid can have as much help as necessary so that everyone understand in common english what the problem is...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011