How to get my child to sleep in her own bed

My daughter is 3 years old and she has her own bed that she can sleep in. Sometimes when she falls asleep in my bed I would put her in her own bed. Then she would wake up during the middle of the night and get in the bed with me. If I leave her in the bed with me she sleeps the whole night. I would read her a story and cut the lights out except the night light and tell her good night. she says no and that she wants to sleep in the bed with me. I want her to sleep in her own bed. I do not have a problem with it now but is my bf comes over to spend the night or something, I know that he would not want her to be in the bed with us. I need help and any help and suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Iluvnana

Asked by Iluvnana at 10:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had to get a T.V. for my kids room,turn it on nickeleomand they would fall asleep
    sweetplum

Answer by sweetplum at 10:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• She has a tv in her room that I play dvds on like the Backyardigans and dora and all those educational show and she would be fine for a little bit but then she would come in the room and tell me that she sleepy and get in my bed and if I say no your bed she will get fussy and start to cry but I keep trying everyday.
    Iluvnana

Comment by Iluvnana (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yikes. sorry but i personally would never put a tv in my kids room. i also have always taught my kids how to fall asleep on their own so i would never have to go through this...

You may just have to deal wih a fussy crying baby for awhile until she acceps it.. everyday you give in, its going to get harder. Take her to her bed after a nice bath. Read quietly to her in her bed or sit next to her bed while she is tucked in. Kisses and night night, then turn the lights off (leave a ngiht light on?) then leave the room. Put up a baby gate so she cant leave her room. If she freaks, which she will, go back into the room, tell her goodnight again and tuck her in. Repeat this a couple times, then afterwards just tuck her in without saying or doing anything. Continue this and she will eventually fall asleep. It may take a few days or weeks even, but you will be up with her in your bed anyways, so whats the difference?
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/sleep.htm
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Going to sleep with the tv on is a really bad habit to start in a child. Other than letting her cry for a few nights, there aren't any really good options that work. Make sure she has a lovey (stuffed animal or blankie), a flashlight (they have those kid flashlights that shut off after a certain amount of time), and you could try a classical CD to see if that would help - but if she's used to sleeping with you and you don't want her there anymore, she's very likely to fuss.
    I wouldn't have your bf there soon after or often or she will likely feel displaced. Children are smart and will figure out that she was moved to make room for him - if she does it will not set a good tone for their relationship.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• She does not go to sleep with the tv on, and her tv only plays dvds so she cant change the channel or the dvds.I cut it off and I would put soft much on for her and would lay in floor while she lay in her bed until she feel asleep. i also put soft music on for her to listen to but I will keep trying different stuff because every child is different. As far as the bf he doesnt sleep over here he stops by every now and then but he doesnt sleep over which is a good thing.
    Iluvnana

Comment by Iluvnana (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• so youre trying to fix one bad habit with another one?
    not gonna work.
    you need to put her in her bed, when she gets out, put her back in. keep putting her back in, it will take a couple nights but she will get it. GL
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I've seen this on Super Nanny, and had the same problem when my daughter was two. Although my daughter was still small enough to stay in her crib- but the only way to get her to sleep through the night was to withstand several nights of her waking up and crying. Eventually she realized she wouldn't get picked up and her body got used to it. On Super Nanny, it was a 3yr old in a bed but same concept. Every time the girl got out of the bed, the Mom had to carry her back in it and wait outside the door...it could take up to an hour but consistency is key. Good luck, its a tough habit to break but definitely possible!
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2011