constipated 12 month old

so im dealing with a new problem that i havent faced in my 4 years of being a mommy! usually i have the opposite issue with my kids, pooping 4-5 times a day.

my 12 month old was straining pretty hard to pass a bowel movement this morning and crying out of pain. i went to change her diaper and with all the pushing she hadn't passed it yet, but i looked and there was (TMI) some of it poking out, and it looked very large. she gave up and it went back in. now she's acting fine, but i know when she tries again she's going to be in pain.

im guessing i need to increase the fiber in her diet? i havent really changed anything, with the exception of not giving her a banana everyday but i always thought bananas had the constipating effect, when for her they made her poop a lot. i give her milk with her 3 main meals and water with her snacks, once in a while a sippy cup of watered down juice.

for now though, what kind of remedies can i give her to help her pass this large stool? prune juice i know.. anything else? TIA

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a lil apple juice in water does the trick for my dd!! oh and way tmi but if i give my dd a warm bath and let her play for awhile in the bath she will normally poop in the bath! so keep a close eye on her if u do that! lol! idk y she does it she just always has! its kinda gross! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Peas, pears, broccoli, green bean will help...whole grains have more fiber too. Banana is not a constipater unless it is under ripe. Cooked carrots and dairy are constipators in excess. If more fiber doesn't do the trick...white grape juice straight up twice a day will do the trick...apple juice works too but apple can be gas producing.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• white grape juice does the trick on my 3 year old
    clarasusana

Answer by clarasusana at 11:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Warm up half apple (prune if u want) juice & half water. Put her in a warm bath & let her drink her drink. My daughter was always like that. Its a headache.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Answer by ArmywifeNatasha at 5:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Increasing the fiber is a good idea. Have you recently started her on cow's milk? It's quite common for cow's milk to stop up babies. If you HAVE recently started her on cow's milk, consider stopping for a period to see if it has any effect. What is her diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• lol caroline that makes total sense, when i have tummy troubles myself i take a warm bath and it always helps me go to the bathroom afterwards. i think something about the warm water on the stomach relaxes your muscles! thanks :)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Dairy is constipating, so are meat, bananas and white / simple grains.

Stick with vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes and water

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011