how to get my 17 month old to drink from a sippy cup?

So I'm a mom to three little girls...my two oldest ones I never had a problem taking away there bottle and giving them a sippy cup...but now my youngest one is 17 months old and I been trying for month to take away her bottle.She will not take the cup but drink from a regural cup but spills it everywhere...I have bought all different kinds of cups..Should I just let her sit there and cry or just let her have her bottle and try again another time...She is teething so I was thinking maybe the sucking on the bottle makes it feel better...I knoew what else to do...please any advice will help...thank you in advance for the advice

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 10:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might try only putting water in bottles, and reserving any other drink for cups or sippies only. If she likes juice or milk, and she can only get it from a sippy or cup she might be more interested in trying, and once you see she can get juice or milk out of the sippy then toss the bottles.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Have you tried the sippy cups with the soft "nipple" spouts, those are usually a good transition since they are close to a bottle. Or my 4th transitioned best to one of the cups with a straw. At 17 months, you might do just as well going to a real cup though and only fill it a little way to minimize spills. It's time for the bottle to go.

Answer by missanc at 10:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Straw type sippy cup might go over better....like the nuby ones with the soft straw. Both my kids were on those
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I got Max off the bottle at 16 months and it was tough - he wouldn't take the sippy either but I just did it - let him cry and he was over it in 2 days.. but it was a long 2 days but then he took the sippy - they have many different types of nipples you can try but we happened to find the one right away that worked
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am going through the same thing with my 15 month old.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• good to know that I'm not alone...LOL
    Mamato2angels

Comment by Mamato2angels (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Sucking on the bottle might be comforting but it is unlikely it makes teething feel better....if anything, sucking should make it worse. If she'll drink out of a regular cup then just go with that (with your help of course...she'll get the hang of it quicker than u think with practice). Find some cups with lids for travel or use water bottles where u can remove the cap. With two older sisters, I imagine she'll come around to whatever zippy cup they're on eventually. Whatever u do, just don't let the bottle be an option anymore...trash them so u aren't tempted.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• honestly, it is better to take bottle and toss it! when she is thirsty enough, she will take sippy. i did it with my son at a yr and half, and it took like a day and half. if u keep giving it to her, shes just gonne cry everytime b/c she knows you'll give her the bottle. GL
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Pick a sippy you like and let her play with it AND have the bottle. It doesn't have to be one or the other. She will transition eventually. Put her favorite drinks in the sippy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my kids never took one. we went straight to regular cups, and I just helped them. I dont believe in my kids running around with a cup or in the car with drinks. We also dont drink juice and milk is a rarity as well.. I think some babies like a bottle because the comfort of sucking? but my other kids also never took a binky.. so.. i dont know.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011