misbehaved child???

my son is normally well behaved so we sort of spoil him but lately he has been acting out especially while in public and i cant yell or spank him because i dont want any one to get the wrong idea and call the police or something. what can i do at home or in public to get him to listen?? because at home spanking doesnt work, nor does yelling am i going about this the wrong way?? what can i do?? im a first time and a young mom at 20 yrs old my son is 2 1/2.. any kind of info will help.

shiekybabee03

Asked by shiekybabee03 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I too, was a young mom. I used to carry my daughter out to the car screaming and crying whe she didn't get her way. I would spank in public if I needed too. I always told my mom, if the cops came, I would say, "here, you take her and drive around and then tell me I can't spank her in public"! LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I AM A YOUNG MOTHER MYSELF AT 20. AND MY DAUGHTER IS ONE. WHEN SHE ACT UP I POP HER. TAKE HER TO THE SIDE AND TELL HER THAT SHE BETTER CALM DOWN. I DONT YELL NOR SCREAM AT HER BECAUSE THAT DOES NOT HELP. WHEN YOU ARE OUT IN PUBLIC TAKE HIS FAV TOY OR SOMETHING THAT CAPTURES HIS MIND. TAKE SOME CHIPS SOMETHING TO DRINK. YOU KNOW HE IS MORE THAN LIKELY BORED. I HOPE THAT I HELPED. WRITE ME AT ANYTIME.
    Tbabygurlcramer

Answer by Tbabygurlcramer at 5:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Instead of resorting to spanking you could always try this...I do this myself and it works wonders. If they throw a fit in the store you can always stop where you are, don't say a word and sit down. Then look your child in the eye and say when you calm down we will continue to shop. This totally confuses them and makes them think for a second. Then when they calm down say are you going to be good or do we need to just go home and take a nap. The usual reply is I'll be good. Then make them apologize for their behavior. I swear this woks and you usualy have a stress free shopping after that...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 5:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• As said by nyteowl above go for the confusing them approach. It always worked for me, I tried not to spank or shout at my children, obviously sometimes it got a bit heated, but I tried always just to sit down next to them look them in the eye and wait to see what they did, nine times out of ten they just stopped stock still and looked straight back at me.
    Also, a little unorthodox, but when my daughters were around 3 and one of them had a tantrum in public I sat down next to her and said "do you want mommy to yell and shout like you?". And then I proceeded to make a small noise (not enough to make an actual disturbance but enough to completely shock my daughter) She then apologised to me and we carried on walking around the park. :)
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Choose one discipline and stick with it, never yell. Discipline, even if public. He needs to know that rules are rules, and your incharge.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• PERSONALLY I SWEAR BY THE SUPER NANNY METHODS. USE THE NAUGHTY SEAT METHOD AND YOU CAN DO THAT ANYWHERE. AND JUST BE CONSISTANT. AND LIKE DAUGHTER SAID NEVER YELL CAUSE IT MEANS YOU HAVE LOST CONTROL AND KIDS KNOW THAT. PLUS IT GIVES THEM THE SENCE OF "LOOK WHAT I CAN MAKE MOMMY DO"
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 12:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• this is my post and i just wanted to say thank you so far for all you your ideas, i will definitely keep you updated and i asked my mom too and she said to throw a fit with him cuz then he'll be wondering why im doing it with him and stop!! i tried it at home it worked so well see if it works in public and home no one has a recorder so i dont end up on you tube or something!!! lol thanks to all of you supporting moms
    shiekybabee03

Answer by shiekybabee03 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2008