How do you promote a positive body image?

Personally, I say thinks like, you look really nice today.

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 10:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Praise and more praise.

Answer by older at 10:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Praise!! :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Agreed. Praise, and demonstrate healthy habits and positive body image yourself.
    CafeMom Team

Answer by CafeMom Team at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Model the behavior you want to see in your child. It doesn't matter how much praise you give them if you're staring at the mirror and muttering, "My butt is too big." THAT example of how you see yourself means so much more than anything positive you're telling your child.

I am working on losing weight but I've been very clear with my kids that the goal isn't to 'look better' it's to 'be healthy.' I'm not going to Weigh Watchers because I want to be a size 6 and wear cute clothes and have something akin to my 21 year old body back at 37. LOL! I'm going because I want to redevelop healthy eating habits. I want to lower my risk of developing high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes - all of which I have a family history of putting me at higher risk. We talk about eating and exercise in terms of health not looks.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Modeling good behavior. Helping her find answers. She is the shortest in her small class. I went on the internet and showed her that she is average height for her age. So she said, "I guess that means the girls in my class are just taller than most". Sometimes it's good to have another source than just mom, because she once told me that your family has to love you just the way you are, but other people don't. So I told her that sometimes, other people are dorks, which made her laugh.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Model good health habits , praise your child and never put yourself down around them.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 11:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I try not to talk about body size (for me or other people). I figure he will copy what he sees and if I present a good body image myself, that will help him. But he is 4 and thinks he's pretty darn awesome, so at the moment my bigger issue is getting him to keep his clothes on. I hope that the strong body image will stick with him, but that some modesty will rub off on him in the process. :)
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Lots of praise
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We talk about about good hygiene, healthy habits, how ones's appearance maybe viewed by others ie. hair brushed and not wearing sweats to a strings recital. She is also at an age where she understanding cause and effect. We praise her a lot.
    mkula

Answer by mkula at 11:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• children learn what they live!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011