When planning a Disney vacation...

Should I plan it all on my own or go to a travel agency or something. I have never planned a vacaction before (besides the same ol campping trip every year) and have no clue where to start! I have went to Disney's website...yea---I am lost! lol...any advice would help :)

faithnseansmama

Asked by faithnseansmama at 10:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Plan it yourself - way cheaper!

Find a hotel on a site like Travelocity or Expedia - personally I prefer offsite, but that's up to you. If you need plane tickets use one of those sites or cheaptickets.com.

Get your tickets at your hotel or at the gate (although, you can get good military discounts if DH is military.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I do everything on my own, it's usually less expensive, and I can get exactly what I want. Once you know the dates you are going, all you need to do is make reservations! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Get your tickets at your hotel or at the gate (although, you can get good military discounts if DH is military.)

^^^^^^^ by that I meant Disney tickets
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The best thing you can do is to make dinner reservations, though they call it priority seating. If you don't have it you can wait sometimes as much as 1 - 2 hours for dinner. We haven't been there since 2003 but I remember having reservations and people who didn't giving us dirty looks because we just walked in and only had to wait 15 min max. If you like to eat at a nice sit down restaurant this is highly recommended. If you don't care and go to cafe type restaurants you shouldn't have any problems.
    Also don't miss the evening stuff, fireworks at magic kingdom, the show at epcot or the evening show at MGM.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Make your plans yourself. Call Disney, they are very helpful with information. Stay onsite. If you stay offsite, most of their shuttles end early, before the parks close. On site, you can get into the parks an hour early. Be there when the gates open, you will be able to do more in that hour, than when everyone arrives. Do the most important rides then. Use FastPass option when in the parks. That gives you a time to come back to the ride, and meanwhile you can go do something else, then when you come back you only wait about 10-15 minutes instead of 1-2 hours in line. Get a guidebook from a bookstore. Fodors and Frommers are both good. It will be well worth the money. Gives you lots of hints. Go back to the room in the afternoon, go to the pool, rest, then back to the park at night. revived for fireworks, etc. I don't think the meal plan is worthwhile unless you are used to having three scheduled meals a day.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The unlimited drink mugs are a good deal.They can be refilled at the parks and at the hotel. Unless you have teens, I'd just get one and share. Take lots of sunblock, and carry snacks with you. The space that you use in your luggage for snacks, will be used for souvenirs for the return home.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011