what do you think would be better to buy? hamster or guinea pig, WHY?

gardenchic

Asked by gardenchic at 10:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pets

• I have 9 guinea pigs. They are bigger and more cuddly. I like to hear them squeak. Hamsters just seem so small and delicate.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Guinea pigs are kind of....neurotic. If you startle them they have a tendency to have a heart attack and die. Went through 6 of them to figure that out.

Hamsters breed though...a lot.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• A rat. More social, smarter, less apt to bite unless you have food on your hands, and they are cleaner.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Guinea pig, or rat- I love rats! I know the tails are creepy, but they really are sociable and intelligent. I had a rat I could carry with me anywhere- she'd hide under my hair across my shoulders. Rats seem to have actually personality. Hamsters are so tiny if they get out of the cage they're almost impossible to find. Whatever rodent you get make sure you get a metal cage, they will all chew through the plastic ones and escape.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We have 3 Guinea pigs and we love them so much fun to play with and they squeek and talk to each other we also have pet mice and while they are cute not much fun to play with. I do know hamsters bite
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 11:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My favourite rodents are guinea pigs and rats. Right now we have two guinea pigs- they are very sweet pets. The interact with us and with each other, wheek for food and attention, and are very tolerant of the kids- both the noise and the handling (we of course supervise to make sure no piggies are getting treated roughly by the kids- and the kids really are very loving to them!) Another nice thing is that they are diurnal so they are actually awake when we are- many small animals are nocturnal, hamsters included. My only caveat is that guinea pigs need a decent sized cage and are much happier in pairs/groups, so you would be better off with two and they will take up more space, whereas hamsters are solitary by nature and just need a small cage and a wheel. But on the whole I far prefer guinea pigs and rats to hamsters.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Get a zhu zhu pet...much cleaner
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Guinea pigs are so much more social than hamsters. I have 4 and love them. They do not bite and come running when they smell celery or oranges. They are very easy to care for too. If you google c&c cages you can make them a cage 10 times bigger than anything you can find in the pet stores for under $40. I use fleece, old towels, and newspaper for it so I just vacuum every night than wash the fleece and towels 1time a week when I replace the newspaper. Which is a lot cheaper than the pet store bedding. If you do it that way they are actually cheaper to care for then a hamster is.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• To answer your question I'd say a guinea pig. I worked in a Pet Store for years and then just have more of a personality and are more friendly. Also way easier to catch if they get away lol. Personally I love rats and ferrets. They are way smarter and cleaner!!! I know the idea of a rat grosses some people out but they make AMAZING pets!!! I had 4 ferrets a few years ago and they were the best ever!! They show love and affection and can be litter box trained. I hate the stereotype that "they stink!" If you take care of them and bathe them once a month they DO NOT stink!!! Mine were litter trained so there was no need for typical cedar or pine bedding...just old bed sheets =) As soon as my son is old enough I intend on getting another one!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• neither. lol don't like animals with rodent teeth.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 8:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2011