Women, would you be more likely to become a homemaker if laws were set up (and enforced) to protect you?

I'm not talking about a culture that forces it on you and deprives you of a right to be in the work place....just laws that protects your right to make that choice for yourself and your kids.

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's easily done. Anyone can do it.You do not even have to be married to do it (you can still have legal agreements in regards to all of these things made, even if you are not legally married). These types of agreements can be made before marriage: Pre-nuptial agreement... After marriage: Post-Nuptial agreement. And can even be made without being married : Palimony agreements. All a couple has to do is: contact a lawyer, have their agreements/stipulations etc. drawn up by said attorney. Sign off on it, have it witnessed, and have it notarized. Some states do require (especially for post nup and palimony) a judges signature, and that's not that hard to get (I have a judge's sign off on my post-nup)... That's it. Does it take time.Yes. Does it cost money. Yes.Is it better than being left ass out when the unthinkable, the unwanted, and the unplanned happen. Oh yes most definitely.

(my post nup was drawn up at 10 yrs)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Not sure I understand the question. I would become a housewife immediately if I could comfortably afford to do so. Wouldn't it be nice to be a paid housewife? ;) I will be a housewife in 9 years when I retire from the military.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 11:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am a homemaker (with my own small business too) and I would choose that regardless. But I think it would be nice if it were officially recognized as a valid and valuable choice. Too many moms are homemakers and then get screwed over in divorces or after a spouse dies. It would be nice to see more legal protection and benefit for those women.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• In what way?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I work from my home.... I bid for projects/contracts when I want to work.... And take off and travel, chill with my kiddos when I don't want to work... It's called seizing opportunity and making it profitable... ;o) I don't need laws to meet my personal/professional goals....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• What do you mean "protect you?" Protect from whom or what?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Too many moms are homemakers and then get screwed over in divorces or after a spouse dies. It would be nice to see more legal protection and benefit for those women.

Life is about the CHOICES the individual makes....   Not about the laws and entitlements the government can provide for them... jmo..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'm not sure what more "protection" I need, but I am a home maker and I love it. I also volunteer on the boards of a couple charity organizations, and fundraise too, for adult interaction. But I don't get paid in money for any of the work I do. I could work for money, but choose not to.

I'm aware that some might feel I don't make contributions to society or my community, but I believe I do and that's enough for me.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have a fully notarized, witness and signed off on by a judge post-nuptial agreement that lays out everything in case of divorce (I've been married 25 years) and those things do very due to the nature of the divorce. I am entitled to a already established/agreed upon spousal support for an already agreed upon period of time. The division of property has already been established. Even child support was established, however our only is grown now and there is no need for it. To many other fine little details that can/do pop up during a divorce. I also have : my own savings accounts, my own retirement accounts, my own insurance policies, and my own investment accounts.

Any woman can establish all of these things for themselves if they choose to do so. A little preparation can go a long way. One never, and I do mean **never** knows what their future will bring them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Huh? Like how?
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2011