When did you start giving cold medicine?

When my son gets a cold, I have many people tell me to give him cold medicine, but my doc does not recommend it before age 10 or so if you can help it. I happen to agree, and try not to medicate him unless absolutely necessary, but I was curious what other moms do.

Groovyflor1

Asked by Groovyflor1 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My kids are 14, 12 and 4- so they are 'of age' for meds. Usually I don't give the combined cold med formulas (unless a doctor says to). If my kids have a cough I give cough syrup, if they have a fever/pain I give motrin/advil. I also give cough or throat drops - if needed and we do use vicks vapo rub as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We never give conventional over-the-counter medications at all. We stick to homeopathic and traditional medicines.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We've always given it as long as it was age appropriate. Our doctor is amazing and she is okay with it.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• as long as it was age approprioate, i did
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• whatever the doctor recommended
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 12:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Nothing yet my son is 2 so we do warm steam baths and vapor rub if he has a temperature which is high then some Tylenol.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We spoke with the physician. She gave us a dosage and age chart that also considers weight for the meds that say don't give till 6 years of age. Any the of the meds not on her list we call and ask. Some of the meds you give a lesser dosage based on age and weight when they are under 6. When he was too young for most, vick's baby rub, tylenol, and the vaporizer with vapor med in it helped alot. We also use little noses saline for his nose and suctioned when needed.
    mkula

Answer by mkula at 12:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i dont give my daughter cold medcine because her doc says it not gd until there ten and she also has seizures and i dont trust mixing meds with her meds
    Jocelynn18

Answer by Jocelynn18 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011