What do you consider "crappy pay" for a public school teaching job?

I am considering getting a job as a teacher next fall, I have a degree I just have to get certified. I always heard teachers get paid crap but I saw some listings for districts in my area (Houston,TX) and the startout pay is around $43,000. Sounds pretty good to me seeing as how I make less than $30,000 at my current job. What do you think?

Amberfire82

Asked by Amberfire82 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

• My sisters both got teacher certifications in the Houston area. They both started out at $43,000. They get raises all the time.

Just be aware that the first year of teaching is very tough. One sister is a second year teacher, and it's much easier for her now and the other sister is a first year and having a rough time. But, she has a really strong support system from the other teachers in her school and her mentors.

She just got a class evaluation from the TEA certification people this week and they told her she is doing great, but may need to take a mental health day! LOL!

Good luck to you. We need good teachers in the Houston area.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 8:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I say, if it makes you happy.. If it's less stressing, then YES go for it. Do what makes you smile!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• shoot here in Calif - my neighbors are school teachers - one is a 3rd grade teacher, her husband teaches Math/Football coach for a highschool - they each make over $75K a year -
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Teachers here start at $25K so I would think $43K is great!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Sounds GREAT to me! Especially since you get summers off!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You couldn't pay me enough, but if that is considered a good salary in your area than go for it.
    Anonymous

• As a teacher, I would say that sounds like good pay. Here is the deal though: you DON"T get summers off. I spend a lot of time with continuing ed, lesson planning, meetings, etc. You don't get paid for those. Also, I spend a lot of money for classroom supplies and given the current economy, I will be spending even more.

But, you can manage your time and have more time with your kids. You can also choose to not spend money on your class.

Good Luck!
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 10:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• well yes that is a good salery for a teacher. however most teachers are getting way less. the teacher for my sons class after 36 years as a teacher is only making 35000 and she has a masters and is tenured and all the goodies. so CONSIDERING THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE ACTUALLY RAISING OUR CHILDREN AND WHO ARE REQUIRED TO GO THROUGH BACKGROUND CHECKS (IN MOST STATES) AND FINGER PRINTING AND ALSO GET A MASTERS DEGREE. AND ALSO HAVE TO DEAL WITH HUGE GAPS IN PAY DURING ALL THOSE VACATIONS. PLUS DEAL WITH SOME KIDS WHO HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO MANNERS NO RESPECT AND THEN HAVE TO DEAL WITH DEAR MOMMY WHO IS JUST LIKE THEM AND WANTS TO KNOW WHY LITTLE JIMMY CAN NOT HAVE PERFECT GRADES FOR JUST SHOWING UP AND ACTING LIKE HIS MONSTEROUS SELF. I THINK UMMM THOSE THINGS AND THE FACT THAT NOW KIDS GOT GUNS AND MORE RIGHTS THAN ADULTS WELL.... NO YOU SHOULD GET DOUBLE THAT MUCH AND MORE.
    Anonymous

• Considering what we have to do, the behaviors we have to deal with that's why ppl say teacher get paid crap
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 12:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008