Children and nudity

What do you teach your children about nudity? (if anything). Do you teach them it is a bad thing and something completly private or that it is a natural thing- the body. (Obviously- or at least hopefully- all teach that any form of touching by others is a bad thing).

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• it is natural, but they know when to do it,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with it but they are getting older and are starting to learn not to come into the living room without at least undies on.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We teach that nudity is natural, but that at some point (between 6 and 8 years old for us) we should protect ourselves by being more modest, especially with the opposite sex parent and those who are not immediate family.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i never let my children see me nude. or anyone else. they where taught about inappropriate touching, but they where not taught it is bad, just a time and place for it. i hate when people let their kids out in the yard that way. what is the point in that. or to do it when u have visitors.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Its natural but I teach them that everyone is entitled to their privacy. I recently had to explain this to my son because he is 7 and curious about his maturing sisters' bodies. My kids are very private we all like our privacy when nude. But I used to enjoy walking around with just a bra and panties. But with a fresh little boy I refrain from doing this outside of my room.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We really didn't teach them anything. I guess that it's not okay for people you're not related to to see you naked or tell you to take off your clothes but in the house...it's not a big deal. My 4yo will still run around the house naked. Her older brother and sisters just laugh at her. The girls (10, 8 and 4) all bathe together and my son (9) will go in and out of the bathroom while they're in there. They change in front of each other. Heck, the 9yo boy and 8yo girl only stopped bathing together a couple years ago (because they would make a huge mess). My husband walks around in nothing but his boxers most of the time and took showers with the girls until they were like 5. I'm much more private but don't freak out if the kids see me naked. We don't make a big deal about it so it isn't a big deal for our kids. The girls did have to start wearing shirts outside at 3. I told them it was appropriate for outside play.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We are teaching our children that the body is natural, but there is also a level of respect and safety that comes along with it. I don't want my kids to be ashamed of their body or nudity at all.... but that doesn't mean we all run around naked because in a culture that is as sexualized as it is, I feel like it's unsafe. .... Trying to find a happy medium here.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We teach ours that there is nothing wrong with the human body, but to respect the boundaries and privacy of others.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 12:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Natural, butmodesty outside the home!!!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I believe there is no difference between a boob and a hand, and that's what I'm teaching my children. The human body is beautiful & I see no reason to hide it. However, we also teach them that outside the home there are others who don't feel that way, and that we should respect their feelings as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011