Cars

Will your child get a car bought for them when they turn 16? will they have to buy their own car, and work to buy it? If you buy them a car will it be a new one? What about insurance and gas for the car?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• They will buy their own. They don't need a car until they move out so it is not something I will do for them without their help.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We may help our children get a car (pay half), but they are responsible for the insurance and the gas. It's important that they have financial responsibility along with the responsibility of driving/owning a car.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well for me I may buy the car but they would have to work to pay insurance and gas. And no, it will not be a new one, but it will be reliable and safe.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My daughter just got her temps and although she's pretty responsible she hasn't saved a dime towards her own vehicle. If she decides to show some real initiative in saving towards a car, I'll meet her half way. I feel she'll appreicate it more if she works for it.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 1:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our kids had to work to have a car if they wanted one. It was always a used car and they had to pay for all of it. We paid for 50% of the insurance and they were responsible for their own gas.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We're pretty big on education being the first priority, so if at that time we can afford it, we will probably buy our daughter a car. I don't know if it will be brand new, but it won't be a cheap clunker. And it will be a safe and practical car not something sporty. We will probably cover insurance, but she can work for gas money.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• There's no way I'll ever be able to afford that kind of thing for Aden. If I could, hell yeah, I'd help him out. I wouldn't buy him some... brand new expensive car, but I'd help him get a used one.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• it will depend. if they have a job and doing good in school and will be needing it for transportation to work and college then yes we will probably help them get a car. no it will not be a new car and i will not pay for insurance or gas. we will also help advise them while they are making their first new car purchase on their own if they need it. of course this also depends on if we can afford it, since we do have 4 girls, 2 of whom are only 13months apart.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011