Do you believe the banning of books is an infringement on your right to freedom of speech?

List of books that are banned by the government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• None of those books are banned here. The US hasn't banned books since Leave it to Beaver was on the air. And yes, it is an infringement of free speech, which is why most of those listed are banned in other countries that don't have that right.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• B-IReadBook.gif

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Banning books is limiting free speech. I find it abhorrent. Absolutely there are books that are in poor taste to down right horrible. That said, my line of what is acceptable may very well be a different place than yours or hers or hers over there. ;) Until we all have the same line (and that'll never happen) I have a problem with book bans.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The Anarchists Cookbook is not banned http://www.amazon.com/Anarchist-Cookbook-William-Powell/dp/0974458902/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296233237&sr=8-1

There are no books banned here.  There are books that are protested, and some that churches will even organize to steal from libraries every time they buy a new copy so they will quit buying it, but there is no book of any type that is against the law to own, loan or sell.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Speech is not just about what you say or write, it's also about having the access to what others have said or written. Limiting what you can and can not access is the same as limiting your right to say it in the first place.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't believe in banning books. If people are so offended by certain books then they should skip that book and find something else. I don't believe that others should be allowed to tell me what I can/can't read or prevent me from buying/reading a book that I want!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (1748) John Cleland Novel Banned in the U.S.A. in 1821 for obscenity, then again in 1963. See also Memoirs v. Massachusetts.

This was the last book ever banned in the U.S.A
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• NP said exactly what I was going to say. WE have freedom of speech, no one else does. I will say if you order that book on Amazon, you are probably going to meet some nice guys from homeland security shortly after, but no one is going to stop you from reading it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• YES - ereaders are also a move to control the printed word ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011