Anyone with a HINDU background?

Is there a specific color that you wear when you get married? just saw a wedding on TV and the bride was wearing a red sauri so I am curious if that is a wedding color and what that means in your culture?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 11:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not, but I'm interested in other religions. I'll be checking back to see the answers.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's common to wear a red Sari in India. Some Hindu's here in America will have a more western wedding depending on who they are marrying. My good friend Lila married an American Christian fellow. They kind of did a combination wedding. They had some Hindu aspects, but it was done in a church with a Christian minister.

I am Hindu, but i am not Indian. I am American, so i do lack some f the cultural aspects of the Hindu religion.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Red is common for wedding dresses in some Eastern religions, white is considered a mourning color in their cultures. Red signifies happiness, luck, and/or prosperity depending on the belief system.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My dh's family is Hindu, though we didn't have a Hindu wedding. The red sari is pretty common in Hindu weddings- because there are so many events leading up to weddings, there are actually plenty of opportunities to wear lots of saris in a traditional Hindu wedding! Like Scuba said, white is a mourning colour in a lot of Eastern cultures so the white wedding dress doesn't hold the same appeal there.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• this is all so intresting to me! did not know about white being for mourning....what other things do they do for weddings that are not done in American weddings? what do the grooms wear...I was so awed by the bride I dont think I gave him a glance...
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'm not Hindu, but I'm a wedding planner... And in TRADITIONAL Hindu weddings brides do wear Red, White & Gold Saris. The red and white colors stand for fertility and purity. However, in the US most brides prefer more of a "American" wedding over the traditional Hindu ceremony so they wear the big white gown the rest of us do and simply incorporate other aspects of the rituals.

The groom also generally is dressed in a white shirt with gold embellishments and either pants or a sarong. The groom may wear a turban known as a Safa and/or a necklace called a Kantha.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was raised Hindu.. I am Indian-American (3rd gen.) my husband is Indian-American (1st gen)... We had a traditional 3 day long mixed Hindu/Sikh Wedding.

The traditional colors for the bride are red and gold. However, These days, women wear wedding saris of all shades/colors. I did wear the traditional red/gold sari when I married 25 years ago. Traditionally the reds/golds signify: the purity of the bride, the fertility of the bride, etc.. The groom wears a traditional suit called Sherwani, some wear a Achkan, or they just wear fancy kurti pajamas (lol).. Traditional Indian/HIndu weddings are a HUGE she-bang. Mine lasted 3 days (which is pretty standard). Traditional Indian/Hindu weddings are very different than a traditional "Western" wedding, even our vows are very different ( we take 7 vows, one vow for each trip around the sacred fire).

As others stated. White is the color of mourning for us.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• This is an example of a groom's Sherwani

Sherwanis are worn in all different colors as well.  Some grooms (depending on region) wear a wedding turban as well.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My husband is a Sikh.. So he looked more like this...( well this is what we looked like.. note this is not us.. just similar to how we looked.. lol_

]

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Another big deal for a Hindu bride is her jewelry.. Which is a combo of: gifts from her new in laws, and part of her dowry. The bridal jewelry is usually in a full set (some brides wear 2 sets).. Here's some examples of those:

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011