Disciplining while potty training...

My son is doing pretty well with his potty training. My only issue as of recent is that if he gets in trouble or gets sent to his room for something, he will pee himself. Now it's arguable whether it's intentional or not. So, I really don't know what to do about it. He always gets praise for at least making it to the bathroom. Would I be doing any harm by making him stay in his room longer for peeing himself? How would you deal with this situation? Suggestions.

JDanesMommy

Asked by JDanesMommy at 5:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's still fairly new to potty training, I'd pretty much ignore it. When you see that he is wet, just say (in a disappointed voice) "Oh that must feel yucky. Let's get you cleaned up." Then help him change clothes and have HIM mop up the floor.
    If he's very well potty trained and has been for months, then I'd punish him for doing it since you know he knows how to use the potty. Also, make sure he knows that it is OK to leave his room to go to the potty even when he is in time out. Figure out how you want to do that - does he have to call you or can he just go - and make sure he understands what to do if he needs to pee while in time out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• NO U DONT LET HIM STAY IN HIS ROOM LONGER.... u should only have time out a min per year of their age.. hes little still.... give him time
    Anonymous

• If my daughter has an accident I make her change herself. She doesn't want to touch the pee but then neither do I. She does alot better not going on herself after doing that a few times.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• yes. It will cause regression and confusion. I used to be the one to potty train all the little kids at when I worked in daycares. Any time a child was discplined by somone for accedents it cause further behavior problems and regression.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• it depends on how old he is. His bladder may not be ready for when he is under pressure. You know how when you get nervous you suddenly have to go to the bathroom??? He may be going through the same thing but he is too little to control his bladder. Boys are known to have a weaker bladder then girls. I just let my son run around naked till he was trained. I dont know how you are doing with him. But i had to wait until my son was ready at 3 yrs old. It is all about when they are ready.
    VetnAFwife

Answer by VetnAFwife at 9:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm not sure what you think you're accomplishing by sending a toddler to his room in the first place??
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• So, LIYONESS, do you not do timeout or anything of that nature?? Sending him to his room is our form of timeout. He has nothing but his bed and clothes in there.. no toys, so it's not like he can sit there and play. He has to sit on his bed, either until he calms down, or until his minutes in "timeout" are up. I guess I can see how him peeing himself when he's upset is uncontrolable. He's ALMOST fully potty trained. He just still wears a diaper at night. And he sometimes won't poop on the toilet. We've dealt with regression already when my daughter was born, and I don't want to make it worse. So, thank you all for your suggestions. I'm pretty sure I can deal with it without it becoming a bigger issue.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 2:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008