Questions for my Crunchy Moms. (DD is 4 1/2 years old and has ADHD) Meds question

So im all into being all natural, we eat as healthy as we can with our budget. I dont vaccinate any of my 3 kids. My older two have been vaccinated but not as of 2007. She was diagnosed with ADHD and Impulsives. Umm, she always wants to touch things, doesnt quiet down, talks way loud, has major tantrums. Her head is too small for her age and she is too short. 38 inches tall, 31lbs. her hair is brittle, short, doesnt grow. I have pics to prove her hair has not grown since she was 1. it grows but slower then a walking turtle. Her doc prescribed her Guanfacine 1mg. I cut it in half and then half again and give her a tiny tiny piece. its originally a blood pressure medication. Is this safe and if not what else am i supposed to do? Shes too hyper and doesnt settle down. There is nothing that will keep her interested. she goes from coloring for 2 seconds to playing to watching tv, complaining. and has a ton of other problems. if u want to know more i can pm you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I understand wanting to be healthy. But you took your daughter to the doctor to get help, they prescribed her something that they felt would help. Nothing you've tried has helped. So why not just try her on the entire pill for a week? See how it works. If nothings changed, take her back to the doctors. Have you tried googling homeopathic remedies for ADHD?
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes and No i have googled. i seen a few things here and there but nothing straight forward on doing things. I have tried talking to her nicely, going to her level, time outs. Giving her plenty of activities to do on her own (because she doesnt like help) like coloring, watching cartoons, playing with her toys. Or playing with her. She has major full blown crazy tantrums, she has broken a dresser, she purposely throws her body on the floor to make it look like we did it and says ow. She laughs all on her own with out anyone talking to her. I told the doc and he said nothing about it. She looks like a crazy person when she does that and its scary. This morning was her first dose. I give her 1/4th of a whole pill, i cut it twice. So far shes okay. She was watching tv but now shes playing her with her baby brother.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I understand what you're going through. My 4 and a half year old son has ADHD. He does all the same things your daughter does, plus he gets aggressive. We are trying therapy before medication (He goes to play therapy, he has a mobile therapist and a TSS for school, we want him to have OT also). Have you asked her doctor about those things?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes we have. My DD is in Preschool and has been for 2 years. this is her second year of Preschool and her teacher says shes is fine at school. Yesterday her teacher for the first time told me my DD has been saying Ow ow all day if someone bumped into her back she got blood drawn out. Im a seeing her teacher today this afternoon for a meeting to talk about maybe a sensory issue and OT. she does have developmental delays and has a IEP. She does pretty well in school, i have seen her in action. Its like she has two personalities. Once she gets home, or in the car, out and about she is completely different. She behaves for anyone but for me, her dad and my mom. She runs away from us in the streets, she dazes into the sky, she fights with her sister, throws tantrums. she cant answer questions for us, refuses to do a lot. She looks BLANK when you talk to her like she isnt there.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am always extra suspicious and cautious of pharmaceuticals myself, but they have a time and place. I'm not sure in your situation. I really wonder if this is more than ADD. It sounds a lot more like a sensory processing disorder and all that can encompass. I have a daughter who was diagnose with Asperger's when she was just shy of 2. We had early intervention services and continue to integrate OT and PT routines. She's never been on any medications because I always searched out and fought for better answers. Her status has been changed to PDD/NOS, which is still an autism spectrum disorder, but early intervention was the KEY for her. It changed her whole life! And ours! If you need to talk...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I know this is gonna sound really bad but first get her to someone other than a ped.. They are very quick to say this or that and give a med that "might" help.. She needs to be evaluated not just a questionnaire. A developmental ped or someone along those lines would be better..

Second, if she only does this with you, dad and your mom she is not ADD/ADHD.. ADD/ADHD children will act the way they do no matter who is around, also school is where the issue with ADD/ADHD will be at its worst so to speak because of the things asked of them.. This is true for most cases but of course not all.. You DD maybe the exception.. Get a second opinion and go from there..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• midnightmoma- this is a Developmental Pediatrician, he works with kids with ADD, Autism and a bunch of other developmental delays. We saw him for 20 mins, he measured my kids head. told me she is too short and her head is too small which i have ALREADY known about. And he said she might be too young to be treated or diagnosed with ADHD but prescribed her Guanfacine.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• A developmental pediatrician diagnosed my son too and he spent 3 hours with him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son was dx with ADHD.. It took many eval to get the right dx. His ped just saw him for a few minutes and said try this.. I was not happy with that. So we went to a dev ped who spend well over 2 hours with him and me.. Lots of questions, assessments etc.. So, yes I know your frustration OP..

I am not saying something is not going on but for her to only act this way with 3 people, it really does not sound like ADHD.. I am no expert but I have had my fair share of peds, neurologist, pychs etc... My son is the same way not matter the setting or people around.. It is harder for him in school because he is expected to sit still, complete his work, switch subjects quickly etc..Get a second opinion.. With her size, have they said she was failure to thrive?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2011