What would you do? Very upsetting......

Yesterday was my 3 year olds birthday. He was so excited to have friends over and to play and the best part what he was waiting for all day was some cake. He told me the day before he wanted spiderman cake and ice cream it was so sweet when he would say PEAS MOMMY and then gave me those puppy eyes. Well he got a spiderman cake and ice cream we were already to blow out the candels and he was supper excited. After candels were blown out and the cake was cut he got to have the first bite of the cake. He spit it out and said,"" mommy ewww :(" then I tasted it and the cake tasted old. It was realyl gross and I had just ordered the cake that day and it was nasty! I called the place I got it and I got my money back. But the guest left without cake and my son was upset. The company gave me a new cake but it was tiny and my son was really excited to get a piece but it was sad to see his face when we tossed the spiderman cake..

What would you do if your son third birthday cake was bad? Would you do a redo party and just have some cake?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 11:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm sorry that happened. I don't really know what I would do, probably just eat the new cake with him and not have another party. I just wanted to say that it was my son's birthday yesterday too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would get him another Spiderman cake. I wouldn't invite everyone over again, just have it with my immediate family. Poor little guy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If it were me I would toss the cake, and feed the kids the ice cream. If there were other adults at the party I would have asked if someone could run out and buy a replacement cake or cupcakes to feed the kids. Then later I would call the company and complain about the cake. If I did not have anyone to get a replacement cake for the party then after the guests have gone I would have went out and bought a new cake for the birthday child (and rest of family) to have after supper. I would not re-do a party, it is over and done with and no need to re-do it just because the cake was bad.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Truly disappointing, but get him another cake and enjoy. The true meaning of his birthday was sharing it with his family and friends. I hope you got his reaction on video, I am sure you will laugh about it in the years to come.
    jwpmom

Answer by jwpmom at 12:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We did and he was so excited :)
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Take him to the park or zoo and give him a small cake with spiderman toppers or toys.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 12:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well, my 8 year old is a glass-half empty kind of kind. He always has been. When he was younger, we did think his reactions and outlook were age related and he'd out grow it. They aren't and he hasn't. Looking back to when he was your son's age and considering where we are today, I'd have to be honest and say I'd stop where I was right now and not make the cake a focal point by redoing it to make it right. My son has a tendency to take a whole day and fixate on the one bad part of it - something like the cake would ruin his whole day even though every OTHER thing was wonderful. He's worked really hard (and we work with him!) to re-frame his thought process and understand that one bad thing doesn't a day ruin. But to do that we have to let it go and move on. Even at that age, we'd have said "Best part of your day?" Great birthday party. "Worst part?" Cake was awful. "Silver lining?" They gave me a new one!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011