Can you really love a person for life?

I ask this because recently I was contacted by an ex-boyfriend....I mean high school and college....long time ago....I have always checked up on him (Google, Peoplesearch, Facebook, etc.) but never contacted him, so when he friend requested me on Facebook, I was surprised, but happy. Had this rush of emotions......I mean I have not seen this man for 13 yrs (like I said I always 'check up' on him....ok maybe it is a bit cyber stalk....LOL), so what do i do with all these emotions....so weird!

2boyz2pray4

Asked by 2boyz2pray4 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, I think you can with lots of hard work and effort continue to love someone for life, I think yours though is more infatuation and what if then it is love. You cant really love someone you dont know, and although you knew this guy 13 years ago, you dont know him now.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's possible, I'm sure. But not for me - I couldn't love an ex for life, as they are an ex for a reason. Now, my Husband..I will Love Him for all eternity. =] But in your case..maybe him becoming an ex wasn't meant to be? Good luck!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Hmmm. I think I still love everyone that I ever loved. Their good qualities are still the same, but my husband is my partner and the one I want to share everything with. I would have to say my dating history did not include any one really awful.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well, I used to check up on my ex-husband when we would PCS to a new place, but for different reasons. Rationally, I knew he wouldn't be in certain states, but emotionally, I still worried, so I would try to look him up. I was afraid I'd see him, so I wanted to be prepared best I could.
    In your case, it kinda sounds like you still like him. IDK if you were in love with him before, I suppose it's possible that you still are if you were back then. But, he's an ex, and we don't know why. You do.

As for your question, yes, it's possible to really love a person for life.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think your reading too much into a facebook friend request.
    goodfriendeva

Answer by goodfriendeva at 1:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Me personally.. I can only speak for myself.

Yes, I could. If I made the choice to do so. But only if I made an active choice, to keep feeding those feelings of "love" in order to keep them alive and burning.

Could I not see, hear, or speak to anyone for several years, and then BAM those feelings come rushing in.. Nope. In order for me to feel those types of feelings for someone, those feelings have to be cultivated, instigated and I have to choose to let those feelings churn and grow.

Of course, I can't see myself "cyber stalking" someone for years on end either.. lol That's just me. I've always been a person who once someone is out of my life.. They are out...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i could have love for them/care for them but not be in love or smitten with them all these years later. that would be creepy imo
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Absolutely possible to love someone like that...question is, does he reciprocate that love?
    Junction216

Answer by Junction216 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2011