Does your child get sick a lot? *small edit*

My Son has been flu-/stomach virus-sick (one was with H1N1) three times in His Life, and has had four or five colds. He is 3 1/2. *Edit: I don't think this is a lot. My Son is very healthy, He has just caught a few sickies like all kids do. However, I've seen and heard of kids getting sick more often than my Son has. That was the point of my question, sorry for the confusion. =]

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 11:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• So if your son has only had 4-5 colds and 3 stomach viruses in his entirel ife you're saying he doesn't get sick a lot right? People seem to be assuming you're saying he does get sick a lot, but that's not a lot at all.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Thank fully no....however when they were 3 -4 they did get more...ear infections were more common for them then
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 12:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son did not start to get sick alot until he started preschool. I know alot of moms that will send their kids to school when they r sick!!!! These kids r coughing and sneezing and their parents still send them to school. very unsafe and inconsiderate!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My daughters get one respiratory and one stomach bug every year, on average. Their dad and I are the same way. My son has an immune deficiency, so he gets sick easily and much more frequently.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Mine really don't. My 5 year old has thrown up twice in his life as far as I can remember, he gets a few colds every year. Once he had a viral infection that caused him to break out in hives and he had pink eye once, and he had a hangnail on his finger become infected, that was the only time he has ever been on antibiotics. That's it as far as I can remember, so he's had 3 sick visits to the doctor in his life. My 3 year old got really size around 13 months old and was having massive diarrhea explosions and puking and was very lethargic, she would just lay there and stare into space, if you picked up her arm it would drop to the ground, it was scary. I thought she would be hospitalized with dehydration, but she wasn' and she got over it after a few dayst. I'm pretty sure that was her only sick visit in her life. My 1 year old has thrown up once and had a few mild colds. Thats all.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My 19 month old seems to be sick every month =/ It sucks. She's at that age where everything goes in the mouth and I'm sure that doesn't help. My 5 year old, she's never sick. She got her great immune system from daycare when she was younger (she was sick constantly then).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• >These kids r coughing and sneezing and their parents still send them to school.<

I have a hard time with this one. First, most of the time you are contagious before you are symptomatic. Even if a child *was* home sick when they were coughing and sneezing you'd still have been exposed to the germs. Second, as a parent with a child that has allergies, I can guarantee you that there would times you'd think she was at school sick when it was simply an issue of a high pollen count.

OP - my kids had more colds when they were preschool age than they do now that they are in elementary school. Part of it is immature immune systems. Part of it is an age where kids are more apt to touch their mouth, runny nose, etc and then touch other things without washing in between. My 2 are sick maybe a handful of times a year. My DD is apt to get an infection during allergy season as a 2ndary response to clogged sinuses from her allergens.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• that's not a lot at all joey's been sick 3 times since xmas!!
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 5:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Awww poor baby. No mine are all under the age of 5 & hardly ever get sick...i guess they take after their daddy.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Sorry about your son. Do you give him vitamins? My kids are hardly ever sick. My son has never missed a day of school not even in preschool. But he has had an occassional cold. My oldest daughter had pneumonia when she was one but since then she hasnt had anything other than sinus problems. My other two are really healthy too, I try and keep them on vitamins and I guess that helps.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011